• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just need some advice

1900_LE

Here's the story. A month ago I took my dogs to a trainer, of course, to be trained. I paid for the 2 to be there a month. First week there, he basically didn't do much of anything with them. Says they needed to get acclamated to their new home. Went back 2 weeks later and there was definately progress being done. I wanted to pick them up last weekend (10/18), so I emailed him and told him I was coming to check on them. He sends me back an email saying a family member was real sick and in the hospital. Ok, I have a little compassion. So I let it slide. I get an email Mon. (10/20), which by the way is one month to the day that they've been there, and everything's looking better. I send another email to see when it's ok to come, and don't hear anything until today. Things are worse and they're not around to train any dogs. Now I'm [PoorWordUsage]. My dogs are not being trained, I paid good money in these tough times for everyone, and season opener is 10 days. So, how should I handle this? Lose control and try to get some of my money back, just wait it out, or what? I appreciate all opinions on this matter. Thanks

Having a sick family member might be a legitimate reason to not perform the work you were hired to do, but I cant' think of a reason why he wouldn't be conscientious enough to call the dog owners and let them know what's going on and give them options, particularly during hunting season.

Sometimes stuff happens that is out of our control, but how long would it take to call the dog owners and let them know?

Granted, I don't know his side, but based on what you're telling us, I would get my dog ASAP, and try to negotiate a refund based on paying the agreed fee only for the number of weeks there was actually training going on, and perhaps half of that for the other time for boarding, though he shouldn't charge you anything.

2 weeks of acclimation for one month of training??? I'd never heard of that before.

Pick up your dog and find another reputable trainer. If you can get your money back or at least some of it the better... It does not take two weeks to get a dog familiar with the kennel/surroundings... Maybe a few days but not two weeks.

You should also be able to visit and see your dog in training at any time you wish.

Your dog should at a minimum have short sessions daily right from the beginning.

Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience....