• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

side x side

machohorn

I am looking at a side x side, I only use it for 1 week of deer hunting then 3 months of ice fishing. I do not do any trail riding and know the class II things. Right now I have a 500 sportsman and was wondering (and asking) for good quality information about them mainly rangers/rhino's. Do they go through snow better then a 4 wheeler? etc.

Thanks

I would say they perform equally as well. My dad has a Rhino and is amazed at how much snow it can go through with the 4x4 locker. Just imagine what it could do with a set of aftermarket tires that promote better flotation over the snow.

Don't rule out the Kawasaki Teryx. You'll get one of the best motors out there.

The Ranger will give you the best overall package capability in the SXS market.

They will go through more snow than a 4 wheeler.....until it gets stuck like anything else.

The main thing to consider with a side by side is how wide the trails are and how big the area is, that you want to use it in.

Myself, I would not consider a single cylinder. They just rattle too much. A 700 Ranger would be a nice machine for what you are planning on doing.

My buddy just picked up a Polaris RAZ. He and I took it for a test drive last week.Went any where we wanted to. Followed a few wheelers through the woods and never had a problem. And the nice thing about that size is it will fit in the box of your truck!! One tire just touches the wheel well. Very nice ride, and lots of things to add on to it!!

Went atv shopping today. Couldn't pull the trigger on a RZR, Can Am, or the new Brute. The RZR did have nice ride though. Not much for ruggedness IMO. If I wanted something like that, it would probably be the Teryx. They are about $2,000 cheaper than a RZR.

o.k. I'll try this again! I would reccomend a Ranger for a few reasons. They do go through just about anything you can put in front of them and from an ice fishing perspective there is tons of room in the box for all your gear. I have seen alot of guys up on LOW with the portables that slip into the reciever hitch of the machine which looked pretty slick.(One guy even had a toilet seat that slipped in the reciever! grin) There is also a ton of accesories for the Ranger that make it really nice for being out on the ice like the cab for instance, add the cab with the 12volt heater and your traveling in comfort which is nice for the ride home after a whole day on the ice! Good luck with your decision which ever way you decide I think you'll be happy with a sxs!

I was also leaning towards a Ranger, they do have the most options and the best cab system available. Last year I only got out fishing to my real spots a few times because of all the slush. The 500 in low range bogging down in the middle of no-where made me sweat bullets. With over 12 inchs of slush I could not get enough speed up to stay on top. Thats why I think a wider/longer machine would be better along with a larger motor.

It's fine with the stock tires, snow was pretty hard that day. I have more aggressive tires off my sportsman I would put on if it was going to be deeper snow. Tracks are on my list but the $4k kinda prefers to stay in my pocket!

i also agree tracks are on my list to get but the price tag is a little high right now! Also looking for a cab for my rhino and i really like the CURTIS Cab....there new cab set up looks really nice but also the price tag is high also

The 08 models are being clearanced out, same as any other model or brand. Plus the '09's went to FI. the 08's are carbed. I had very few problems with my carbed Kawi 750.

Put a Dynatek in that 750 and it will fly.

Another thing to consider is that the Ranger has the Lock n Ride accessories, which include a flip-over style house that mounts to the box. Installation takes seconds and looks to be roomy enough for two. A seating system that utilizes the hitch is also available. I've never used this before, but I saw it at Bristow's and was pretty impressed. My dad has had Rangers without many problems, and his newest 700 with power steering is really nice. It's fairly expensive, but if I was getting a machine with your needs, this would be the one.

I have a frabill cabosse that fits in the reciver.I just mounted a ice auger holder and a old gps sonar I had and yes I did put a new cdi on and it helps.I will try to load some pic.