• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New whirlpool fridge not cold...

BoxMN

Have a new side by side, cheaper whirlpool model. It just doesn't get cold enough. Barely colder than room temp. Have all clearances, and hooked up properly. Is there any packaging I may have left in it? I think I got it all.

Did all troubleshooting. The freezer freezes the ice but it is all frosted up on the back.

I have not called whirlpool yet as I dont hav ethe serial number with me yet. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

If freezer is frosted up in back, You have 1 of 2 problems. Either fan is not running or the self defrost system is not working. If you hear the fan in freezer running, then you have a defrost problem. Probably a defrost problem.

I hauled it upright, in carton, and it has been runnning for about 2 weeks, maybe three. It sat after transport. Just noticed it was not cool two weeks ago, thought maybe because it was being opened so much that weekend. It is in about 55-70 degree room temp. (55 when not there, about 70 when we are.)

I have all clearances proper aroudn it. I know it does "kick in" but I don' tthink the defrost fan is running in the freezer. area.

Thanks for info.

The fan is not for defrost. When you open the freezer and the unit is running, you should hear a fan. If you don't hear a fan, start there. The defrost system consists of a heater, thermostat, and timer. If fridge is brand new, it's possible a wire is off, most likely on the heater. Otherwise with a whirlpool, it's usually the timer or defrost t-stat, not the heater. The timer can be advanced to a defrost cycle manually. It's usually located by controls or down behind kick plate. If you can find it, there is a small dial looking plastic piece that can be turned with a screw driver to put in defrost. Turn it until fridge shuts off, then it's in defrost cycle. Then listen in freezer area for sound of water sizzling from dripping on heater. Defrost t-stat is round disc about size of quarter and an inch thick on top of coil behind freezer back panel with 2 wires. Good luck

Thanks guys. I will give whirpool a call, but also check the the fan and for styo I forgot. I don't think I looked at bottom real close after taking the plastic shipping runners off, thining that would be the only thing on the bottom. I know back and inside is all clear of styo... I think...

I think I sent you an email, but not sure. If not, let me know. Either let me know your email address or I can give you mine.

Hey bearslayer - email me at c-box at comcast.net

Thanks much!

Just got back, and I called Whirlpool and went through 20 minutes of voice mail he11... only for them to tell me they are not open for calls on weekends... I hate that...

Anyway, the fridge only gets to 50 degrees (I bought a themometer) and the freezer gets to 20 degrees.

The freezer os all frosted up, and the lower vents is totally frozen over and plugged up. I pulled the frost away and could see behind the vents on bottom that it was all full of frost/ice...

Not knowing what to do, I just left it plugged in, but emptied everything (throw out lots of bad food... I hate that too...) and am going to call Whirlpool and/or Best Buy tomorrow to see how to get it fixed. All styro is out, and all clearances are good, and power is good, just not getting cold. No bangs or dents or pinches of wiring or tubing. So could be the freon thing I guess... but I have no clue (in more ways than one, ha!)

Thanks for the advice, I guess it will just be warranty work.

I guarantee the automatic defrost isn't working. If it was freon problem, wouldn't be frosting up. It will be covered by warranty. You can plug it back in after it's defrosted and it will work for 3-5 days before it starts not working again.