• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

painting treated plywood

DCON

Anyone have any advise on painting treated plywood. I have a 12" strip around the bottom of my permanent house and want to paint it the same color as the house, I have heard both ways, prime it first, and don't prime it, anyone actually know?

I think you're going to have to prime it. I'd go with Kilz or Menards carries Zinsser primers now. Zinsser 1-2-3 is a latex based primer sealer. Zinsser H2oil would be an oil based primer sealer. Both good for exterior use. Put a good exterior paint on top of that and you should be OK.

My part time job at Menards has educated me with this small tidbit of info wink.gif

As long as you use an oil based paint it won't matter. You can either prime it first then paint or put multiple coats of paint - just make sure whatever you put on is all oil based.
I've painted several green treated things in the past and have had problems with latex based products.