• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are you seeing more, less or the same amount of deer bow hunting?

Coach

The deer have been very scarce for myself and my hunting partners. We hunt west of Randall in morrison county, intensive harvest area and early antlerless. So far I have had 2 days that I have seen deer on stand, out of about 12 days of hunting. There was 6 of us hunting during the early season and not a single deer was seen. It has been tough, I know they are around, but just haven't been seeing them.

It's been a strange start to the season for us too... deer sightings are way below normal for our party in 172. If it wasn't for the trail cams... I'd say the wolves have pushed the deer out of the area. But pictures don't lie and the deer are there but mostly moving under the security of darkness. Normally we'd have 2-3 does down by now. My first sit of the season, I had a 6 pt and yearling doe at 7yds and haven't had a deer within bow-range since. Hopefully with the new moon and cooler temps approaching, movement will pickup again.

Hey "Sticknstring", I rifle huntin area 172, pickeup the pics off my two trail cams up there last weekend and guess what? You guessed it Timber Wolves pics showed up, deer pics too but not as many tracks and signs as last year?

i've seen more deer to this point then any other year. mostly does, but i've passed on two smaller bucks (one twice). I saw one really nice buck but he hung up 60 yards away and turned in the wrong direction.

i have places that i KNOW i can see does every time out. for the last 3 weeks i've moved away from those spots and started going to the thick stuff hoping to catch a buck moving. in about a week i'll be going back to the doe hangouts.

only disappointing thing about my season is that i only have pictures of one shooter. 5000 pictures and only one shooter frown

The corn is really hurting us down here. Usually it is well on its way to being out by now. I talked to the farmer whose farm I am on, he said it will come out next week. That will leave one week for me to get a buck with the bow, once the shotguns start blasting, I'm out.

My sightings are fairly normal. I had a dry stretch when I hunted some of my spots that are poor when all the corn is still in. I don't agree at least here that the corn's been bone dry for weeks. Most of it hadn't been frost killed until the last week & some maybe still hasn't been. It's hardened a lot, but not dried down enough to harvest without drying it. They're just starting to combine some around here, otherwise it's only been what's chopped. I'd guess close to half the beans are still in the fields.

I shot a doe two weeks ago today, before I went to WY for a week. Got lucky & hunted 15 minutes out there & shot a big 2 X 3 muley. Not many points, big rack, & a big deer, probably not by muley standards, but way bigger than anything else we shot.

Quote:
only disappointing thing about my season is that i only have pictures of one shooter. 5000 pictures and only one shooter frown

That's one more shooter than I've seen on my cams. I've got 3 decent 2 1/2's and about a half dozen yearlings. I tell ya what - if nothing shows up on the cameras by next weekend. I'm going after that 7 pointer that's been feeding in daylight just a little too often...

The public land I hunt when I first found it had lots of deer. 2-3 trophies always pop up here and there. My ole man tooka nice 9pt and my lilo bro took a nice 12pt. A few witness and word got out and a few 10pt'ers were taken since then and the area being over run by squirrel hunters has seen far fewer deers, even less sightings. Used to see 2-3 trophies /yr now you'd be lucky to even see a yearling. I've only seen 8 does/fawns since opener when I used to see 2-12 does/fawns passing and a few bucks passing through each day.

I usually wait for a 130 class or higher buck until after the camp ripley hunt, after that, even a spike is a trophy.