• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glass-pack mufflers

Dual-piped my truck this past summer.. The guy who did the job for me put a glass-pack muffler in so it wasn't extremely loud.

It's fairly loud now, but I'm feeling I could use a little more juice. I've heard some stories where guys have turned their glass-packs inside out, and it's even louder than straight pipes?

Maybe I'll just take it out and straight pipe it?

Any good reccomendations?

I have never heard of turning glass packs inside out, but I have heard of wetting them out. When the muffler is hot (eng. not running), spraying a garden hose in to mat down the glass and make it sound different and most times louder. Sometime much louder wink. This depends on how much water you spray in their. I would start out with a short spray/mist at first and then go from their.

The only thing is once you do this, you can not go back. If you do not like the results, you will have to replace the muffler.

I also remember guys using a torch or gas and burning them out also. A glass pack will burn it’s self out eventually, causing a different tone/sound threw out its life. Some times when I would switch out my mufflers/glass packs for some reason, I would be disappointed at first about the sounds. It always seemed the best sounding glass packs where the ones that have been around a while.

Also if you go with cherry bomb syle GP and you want the loudest sound, go with the shorter glass packs. If you want the deepest hotrod tone, go with the longer style wink.

More noise won't give you anymore power. Just more noise. Glass pack mufflers are nothing more than a tube full full of holes going through a larger solid tube. Between the two is some fiberglass packing to help absorb some noise. Eventually the packing burns out and they get louder. Can't see how they could be turned inside out ???

Reminds me of my High School days.

The year was 1977. I had a 1965 LeManns, Candy Apple Blue, jacked up with 50s on the back and 60s on the fount.

Duluth Central High perched on top the hill.

The downhill drive went right past the outdoor smoking area looking over Lake Superior.

Thats were the BAs hung out.

Get it up to 40 in second then let off and let it rap to the bottom of the hill. It couldn't have been a more perfect show.

The whole town is on a hill for that matter, I must have been a real PITA.

What more out of it, when the exhaust manifolds crack replace with headers.

That is the definition of cool ST!

Good times! grin

Mine was cruising School St. and Jackson in Elk River before and after school, looking for any one that would look grin

Loud, crisp rap was the key wink

COOL = Quiet

I hate loud vehicles. Especially when my neighbor fires up his truck at 6am every morning and lets it warm up until 6:30 and all I hear is the dang pipes. Then he comes home from the bars or wherever at 1am.

Keep it the way it is. Your neighbors will appreciate it.