• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First ice Portable anchor?

Dan Thiem

I normally just fish outside the portable during early ice, but when I do fish inside the portable and I get out I just make sure that I flip the top open and lay it flat. Or else I'll wrap my auger up in the tow rope and lay the auger on the ice so the rope is tight, that way it has no give when the wind picks up and its strong enough to hold the house in place.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

When I'm out ice fishing, especially early ice, I don't like to drag along alot of extra equipment, I like to travel light and fast, but I also don't like my gear taking off in the wind, when there is little or no snow on the ice, so I have developed a stratagy that works.

I have a cut a standard railroad tie into four sections....into each section, I have drilled a hole and screwed in a heavy duty eyebolt.

To the eyebolts, I have fastened a heavy duty section of tow chain about 4 feet long, with a quick coupler.

At each corner of my portable fish house, I have installed a threaded eyebolt, washer and nut to the inside, washer and nut on the outside..4 more quick couplers and you are all set.

A section of chain and railroad tie at each corner of the house and you won't be going anywhere in the wind!

This set up really holds good and although it may seem heavy, it really is'nt, the total weight is only about 240 pounds and that depends on what type of chain you use!

If you don't have access to any railroad ties an anvil at each corner will work also.

Some of the fellas like to use cement blocks, but I think that is kind of tacky.

I have a real simple solution.

Avoid early ice. Never know when it's gonna cave in!

Either that or bring some 2X4 boards with you that are cut to fit around the edges of your portable.

Or, pour cold water over the edges of the portable and let it freeze itself to the ice. The wind won't have a chance then!

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 08-18-2004).]

What does everyone use to anchor their portables at first ice when there is little snow and the ice just thick enough to support you and your equipment. I know you can buy ice-loks but what are the home made techniques?