• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of socks do you use?

Christopher Quast

have fallin in love w/ smart wool socks/ available at most outdoor stores. they have a sock for every thing comfortable allday. thin thick hiking sitting cold weather artic weather. check them out. and I'd urge you to try one pair you think you'd use most. eventually you will have more.

I really like Cabelas socks. I use their gray wicking sock as a liner and then I use their heavier sock. I use lightweight for cooler weather or hiking and the heavyweight socks for stand sitting in my 800 gram boots. Otherwise I have the 2000 gram boots.

Blood circulation is very important. Also, air space is your insulation. Even the insulation in your boots and socks does one thing, trap air. So, tight fitting boots and socks with low loft will not be as warm.

Obviously its hard to compare apples to apples because everyone has different levels of personal warmth and what they are willing to deal with.

I am a very warm person, but my hands and feet never seem to be warm. I've finally found the perfect match for me with the combo I mentioned above.

I love smart wool socks, and also I like the thinner Under Armour socks, don't get the knee high version otherwise it cuts off circulation to the back of your knees, but otherwise they are nice socks. I never hunt with regular socks. Don't be afraid use those smart wools in warmer temps. They cusion your feet so nicely and keep them comfortably warm. i hunt stand all the time usually all day in rifle season. I do wear knee high rubber boots with 1200 grams of insulation, keeps me warmer than tight lace up boots.

I am a fan of a few different brands but my favorite ones are made by smartwool I wear the expidition weight with a linear sock. mind you I am usually standing on a cold boat floor with water underneath it at 30 degrees or colder.

I've used wool socks before and sweated profusely. Just ordered some under armour socks. I hope they work better. Have been using just regular cotton socks for awhile, and just changed them out often.

all socks will eventually get damp from perspiration. just change into dry ones often. then you can buy the cheap socks.

if you're like me, i wouldn't recommend changing in the stand though, deer might smell ya.

Any type of Merino wool sock will do well to keep your feet warm. Smartwool socks are great but there are other brands that work just as well. A silk weight liner is a good addition to help wick away moisture and keep your feet a little drier and a little warmer.