• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quiet Deer Rifle

Right now I shoot a .300 Win Mag with a muzzle break that is incredibly loud. I have damaged my let ear with it. I now hunt with an ear plug in...does anyone have a gun/caliber selection for something that is not quite so loud???

Not much anyone we can do about the muzzel velocity, but is there a barrle design out there that helps??

I have shot a 300 win mag, I guarantee the muzzle break is the issue. can you remove it? there are lots of rifles out there that will be "quieter" but that muzzle break is the reason it is so load, all of that energy and muzzle blast need to go somewhere, either down range or off to the sides and back at you.

I know it is the muzzle break on the .300 win. mag. I have heard that some Western Outfitters have banned them, due to the hearing loss of the guides. Rule of thumb that I have heard is a 15-25% reduction in Recoil with a muzzle break and a 15-25% increase on DB back at the shooter.

My question is more along the lines of.... Is a Browing BAR Long Trac in .270 quieter than a Tikka T3 in .308? Some kind of a comparison like that.

Are the magnums ie. 7mm .300. .338..etc louder than standard cartrides...ie. .308....270...30-06...243

Seems to me that the old 30-30 is not too bad...but kind of a "pumpkin shooter"

It has been a few years since I shot a 270, but I don't think there is much difference between that and the 308, of course the 308 is a browning blr....shorter barrel on that 308 means a little louder.

I personally like the 308 round, but the 270 has been a tremendous round as well

I guess "Loud" is relative. I don't know any caliber that isn't loud. Wearing an ear plug may be the prudent thing to do. I shoot .243. 06 and 270. On the range I wear ear protectors but, in the field when I squeeze one off on game I don't feel the recoil or hardly hear the report. It's cool to see em tip over in your scope.

Right now I shoot a .300 Win Mag with a muzzle break that is incredibly loud. I have damaged my let ear with it. I now hunt with an ear plug in...does anyone have a gun/caliber selection for something that is not quite so loud???

How bout.... anything else. eek

IMO the 300 mag is way overkill for MN deer. Think a little smaller, without the break, not a mag calliber and it should be better.

The woods are never as quiet as the moment after the shot rings out. It is creapy.... and I love it.

I would never buy a hunting rifle with a muzzle brake. Smaller calibers are typically a little less loud. My 223 is not quite as loud as my 270. I have never had a problem taking a single shot without hearing protection in my 270. And I always wear hearing protection while target shoting. Also shorter barrels will make a gun seam louder the longer the barrel the farther the sound will be away from you. I'd look into a rifle of 30-06, 308, 243, or 270 in a bolt action with maybe 24" inch barrel or so. A 308 is a nice accurate low recoiling round for deer.