• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turnover?

jalberg

At what water temp do lakes start to turn over? I keep getting conflicting info. I have heard everything from 50 to 58 degrees.

What kind of lakes turn over first/last?

Are any lakes turning over yet?

I have this Thurs & Fri off and I'm thinking I might run into a turnover situation.

Talking about lake turnover or the mixing up of the deeper, denser, unoxygenated water with the water of the top. This occurs when surface water (above thermocline) reaches temps At about 50 degrees, the cooler water at the surface begins to sink into and through the thermocline, forcing warmer and less dense water to the surface and erasing the temperature stratification built up over the summer. Now I don't think that any lake in the state has steady surface temps of 50 degrees yet. I was out this past weekend around the west metro and on two different lakes had readings of 59 degrees and 57 degrees. Fish now should be scattered. Shallower smaller lakes, coves, and bays will turn over first. Larger lakes a bit later. There is a possibility of turn over starting to take place this coming weekend but it would have to be a smaller lake or bay. I think I heard the weather guy this morning say that the next few nights are going to get cold BUT the sun will be out during the day so lake temps should drop slower from the current temps of 58 ish down to the lower 50's. You will be able to smell the turn over as well as see it if it just took place. Hope this clears some things up for ya

Really hard to say.. From what I have had happen.. Lake rolls over,fish can be VERY hard for about a week maybe 2 as the oxygen over the entire lake is somewhat the same.. Fish tend to suspend and chase bait fish because they too can go where ever they want.