• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Underwater Camera for Ice Fishing

Philo

Wow, posting on the ice fishing site, I must have ice fever!
I need some advice on an underwater camera. Which is the best model for ice fishing? I looked at the old posts, but I could not get a definitive answer on the "which is the best" question. Also wondering if there was anything new on the horizon for this year. Please help!

Philo

I'm holding out for the new Marcum 560, if they ever release the thing. Its a nicely packaged camera. If I can't get the 560 by winter, I'm going to go with the 460, just a few less features.

Rumor I've heard about cameras on LOW is the water is too stained to see very far.

Philo, Had you given any thought about putting together your own? ALL componets are plug together( down to 65') and it can be done for around $150. Plus, You have an AM/FM Radio and a local reception TV set. For the CALMER moments or the KIDS. If you're interested, let me know here, and I'll give you the info you need via e-mail. Phred52

You're not going to get a definite answer when it comes to what brand or model is the best. It all comes down to personal preferrence and what you want out of an underwater camera. Are you looking at spending a lot of money? Are you going to ice fish a lot or can you get by with a cheaper version? Are you going to fish a lot at night? Do what all the extra features or just a camera that will get the job done? ... There are so many options out there today and it can be frustrating when it comes down to picking which one is best for you.

Me personally, I ice fish some where around 5-6 times per week and I'm pretty picky when it comes to a lot of my ice fishing gear, I've been fishing with the MarCum OVS 500, but I plan on switching to the OVS 560 once it comes out. Does this mean that the OVS is better or worse than all the other cameras, definitely not, it just fits all my needs the best and it helps me land more fish. The rotational feature is a must have, and the OVS system is nice and compact and well built and designed for the mobile ice fisherman. The new OVS 560 will be similar to the OVS 500 but with a better lighting system, designed to make clarity at night and in dirty water a whole lot better. It also has a rotational/panning feature built right on the camera head itself, which avoids all the hassle with the rotation above the hole, but now its below the ice instead. The OVS 460 is the same camera quality but without the bells and whistles of the 560. The 460 doesn't have the rotational/panning feature or the on-screen display of depth, temp, direction, etc.

I know several people who fish the OVS systems and swear by them, but I also know people who fish with Aqua-Vu, Atlantis...among tothers, and swear by those as well. I'm just giving you my personal prefference.

Good luck choosing a camera and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

I have an older Aqua View.It has no lights or gizmos but works just fine in daylight.
I think when the 560 comes out I will give that one a try.(I have been waiting "patiently" smile.gif)After using a no frills camera,I can see a lot of benefits in some of the features the new cameras will have.Panning is one key feature I think is immportant.My fingers get all cramped up trying to twist the cord on my current camera.Then once I have the thing in the right direction it always rotate back on me!I am tired of fighting with that.It will be also nice to know what direction the camera is facing.It comes in handy when trying to find transition zones.You can use the camera to find the right bottom composition, where rock meets sand or where the weedline ends.Sure you can pick it up on your sonar but a lot of times its easier to see it for your self.
I also am looking forward to the temp and dpth displays.

What's the latest on the 560? I recall reading on other pages that it was supposed to be out some time ago. Any news on the delay? Are there technical issues with the model that are preventing its release?

I emailed Marcum on the 560 and here is the response.

Mark,

The VS560 is currently in production. We are expecting them to be ready for
purchase in early September. I will add you to our camera mailing list and
you will get any release news plus a special introductory price offer.

MarCum Support

I'd like the info on the DIY camera.

joe _ houser at earthlink dot net

Thanks!

------------------
Fish is supposed to be good for the brain, but fishing is even better for the imagination. Fishing seems to be divided, like sex, into three unequal parts: anticipation and recollection and, in between, actual performance.

Philo, you ask how cameras work at LOW not worth a darn. The water is to dirty and stained. I have an old aqua vu that I used for panfishing in shallow clear lake and it is fun but I don't believe that it is worth spending a lot on a camera because there doesn't really appear to be one better than the next. I think the absolute best thing out there are the Marcum and Vexilar flashers. They are better than any camera in my opinion.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

Sorry Guys, I responded to Philos' request and found the company that supplied the cameras has changed their HSOforum. They no longer offer an waterproof/underwater camera on their HSOforum. I have emailed them about this and am currently awaiting a response. Nothing to this point. Will foreward info as it becomes available. Thanks, Phred52

hey phred, i was looking into a diy cam last year but got frustrated on how to put the components together and what was compatible with what......how hard is it to match stuff up?. and how do you tell the quality of the electronics?.

you can mail me if you'd like.

bjosh69(at)yahoo.com

I actually started the DIY camera but was having a problem getting the signal through a 5" B/W TV (you all know the one, UHF/VHF/AM/FM/ Video input) that I got for about $20.00. I've tried both hooking up another source to the input on the TV which works fine (1 vid. RCA and 1 aud. RCA connection) and hooking up the camera output (same RCA conn.s) to a different TV which also works fine. But they don't work together!!! Frustrating!!!

Anyone have any options/answers which don't include lugging a 9" or 13" TV around with me? All opinions are appreciated. I know it's not an Aquavu or a Marcum but for about $60 invested I'll start here.

The system I had assembled was ALL plug together. It involved a SONY 7 lite infared camera, a Jensen 5.5" B/W TV AM/FM Radio with external audio/ video jacks, a gel-cel battery, a 12v power "Y" cable, a plastic tool box and a LITTLE sheet metal work. System "isn't pretty" but IS effective. PLUS if fishing is slow, I can watch the game or whatever. Now, if I can just get a line on those cameras again, we'll be good to go.

I agree with many of the posts that many companies are comming out with some great cameras now days... I got to sit threw a sales meeting for Aqua-Vu about a month ago and they are comming out with some fun stuff to hit the market in Late sptember... one ice fishermen will be interested in will be 4 in 1 camera... then you get a quad split screen. so you have a 360 panoramic view.