• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Move or go higher!?

Meat-Run

I need help with a problem that came about lastnight as a very respectable buck came into my "zone" and I wasn't able to harvest this buck. He smelled and eyeballed me before I was able to get the pin successfully on his vitals. So the question is do I move my ladder stand or go higher to the 20ft level to help avoid any other deer smelling me or locating me? I have another tree that is very close and I think would help the deer or this particular buck regain comfort crusing through this funnel area?

Go higher or move my stand 20 yards and try it again in another week?

Any pointers would be helpful?

thanks,

mr

MR- If he smelled you, there is really nothing you can do. Going higher isn't going to help, neither is moving further away. He is still going to smell you. My advice would be to not hunt that stand for those wind conditions.

While going higher can help mask some movement, it does create more problems. Shot angle, Tree movement(wind) ect... Less movement, better camo(and I am not just talking clothing, I'm talking the tree your in, how many limbs ect, whats the background behind you, your siloette(spelling?), are probably your best options.

Deitz,

thanks for the quick response. Without going into to much detail I was surprised the directing he went inconjuction to my stand that made it a right sided approach for a right handed bow hunter, ugh!!!!! I'm in a tight funnel area and the 3 other deer before him all came into the correct path, from my left to right all presenting a shot. Now the buck basically was out of room on my right side and was about 8ft from my stand at the point of the "oh-sh*t" look that was painted on his face.

I am was very aware of the wind direction to because I have been waiting for two weeks to hunt this stand with the perfect wind direct a brisk north breeze and I had it last night until the wind settled down and he skirted behind me and came to my right side (south of me). It was the very last place he was suppose to go becuase lack of room to go....

This buck is by far one of the nicest deer I have ever seen bow hunting and rifle hunting all my 23+ years. The only good thing going for me now is that it's still a funnel and other deer still have to travel through it no matter what...

Also there are some great scent killing products out there. I don't go hunting without using them. I have had deer literally feet away and never smelled me while using them. I always have close to a gallon of the stuff on hand.

I have been religiously taking my scent control very seriously. I change at last point before entry of the woods and always keep my stuff in a large scent free bags. No matter what a guy does, a buck within 8ft of your stand and down wind is going to smell something thats how they get so big and smart. Most does you can fool them once or twice but not mr. big. I think I'm going to move my stand and see if I can get another crack at him or another buck. His thoughts every time he comes through that funnel he's going to look up in that tree even if there isn't a stand or person there and he's now educated.

mr

MeatRun, How high is the stand you were in? I think being below 20 ft really hinders your chances at staying concealed (both sight and smell)... And it does help your scent situation if you are higher in the tree, especially when the deer are right below you. If a deer crosses downwind of you at a close distance, your scent will go over him if you are high enough. I have the same situation you are talking about with one of my stands, the deer sometimes use a trail right behind my tree. They never smell me though, cause I'm 25 ft up and the trail is only 10 ft from my tree.

I agree with you Meat-Run, no matter what precautions you take with smell, a deer that close to you is most likely going to know something is up...and if you are not high enough in the tree you might be in their field of alertness when they start getting spooked. That's what I've found anyways. I agree with Mo Gator...I'm becoming a big believer in the nose bleed type stands...as far as scent and concealement issues go anyways. If you're not comfortable in your stand anymore...move it for more concealement or replace it with a fix stand that you can situate higher in the tree. Trust your gut on this one...I find that helps too!!!! Keep us posted...I wait for a happy ending. FL SNIPER

I agree with Dietz.

I think going higher can help a bit with scent but the bottom line is that a big buck is big for a reason. But now if the deer comes under your tree, what do you have to shoot at.

If the deer spotted you then he probably outlined you. Maybe switching a tree could help. Not sure what your situation is.

thanks Mo Gator and Fl Sniper,

I'm going to go higher in this situation 20+ ft. After further review I just think this is still the best tree to be in and I'm hoping there will be other bucks to still come and go through this funnel. Time will tell and hopefully I will have my first buck via bow and be a true trophy.

mr

Now I have to practice shooting from 20+ ft instead of the normal 10-15ft stands. I did manage to add addtion steps to my ladder stand during lunch time and getting up there just seems like I'm touching the clouds, kind of uncomfortable at first but I'm sure with time I'll settle in. Really high stands are not my thing but in this case I pretty much have no other choice.

By the way the deer are really moving with several does under my stand on Saturday morning and lastnight.

If one does everything possible to control ones scent, gets in a larger tree so the wind will not sway you and you can go up at a minimum of 20 feet and not get silhouetted, your chances of getting spotted or blown at will be considerably less.

I know we have found that the higher one gets, the less likely they will be spotted. It also is very important to get in a bigger tree so the wind doesn't move it around while trying to shoot. many branches will also help in you being spotted.

This is another reason why I prefer a pendelum sight with those high angle shots. Those adjustments are made with the sight and this has worked very well for me over the years.

One can never set up perfect for those wise ole bucks as they can and will appear at places one never planned on. Sometimes one has to just watch them walk by.

Harvey you are so right. After sleeping on it my thoughts are I shouldn't have even pulled back and make matters worse. The best scenario could have been that he saw an ugly thing in the tree and just walk away quickly instead of me flinging an arrow to send him running for his life.

Should'a, could'a, would'a........

Lesson learned. He may have won the battle but the war has just begun!

Moving is good. Higher is good. Or if it is as good a funnel as you say, wait and hunt it during the pre-rut only (bucks following/chasing) and when the wind is right. The does will come thru and he or another larrge buck may be following - and their attention would be on the does and less likely that he would veer off and come behind you like he did.

Since the event went down, I'm now rethinking that my poundage is way to high for the situation I'm hunting. For the past 3 years I have been successfully shooting at 68lbs but with this scenario I might lower my poundage all the way down to 60-62lbs for the comfort and confidence of holding the string long enough. The furthest I would need to shoot in any direction would be no more than 20 yards to I think by going down will help tremendously. For so many years of bow hunting I would have never thought about doing this but after what has happened if I had a lower draw weight I could of maybe held out longer...

Eitherway I'm heading to the bow shop today to make my changes to simplify my shooting. Learning to adapt is key to a successful hunt right!?!?

mr

mr - Nothing wrong with lowering your draw weight... in fact I'd recommend it. I do it every season, usually around the 2nd half of November. After sitting in stand for 2 hours numbing under layers and layers, it's no easy feat in getting the string back, especially if you're at full draw for awhile. 60lbs is PLENTY for a whitetail and anything else for that matter. Might have to lower the pins a tad, but that's about it.

When I was younger I'd climb 25' up a tree. Don't ask me why. This past weekend, I hung a homemade portable up about 5 feet. You definitely don't need to be 20' up to kill deer. If that buck made you, you'd be better off moving 50 yds and hunting from the same height than hunting higher from the same tree. Glad to hear you're having some action. It's been tough for me so far this year. But there's no quit in me. It took me until Dec. 28th a few years back but I got the job done!

sns,

I was hoping you would chime in soon...I did go higher with my stand but in the same tree. If you were to see this spot it would be hard press to move it any other direction or tree. Even though the buck saw me I'm hoping there will be others that will follow suit right through this funnel. My thoughts he's learned his lesson and may not ever go that way again. I thought about putting up a camera but worried it may grow legs to see if he's still using the same path day or night.

If on my next hunt which might be as soon as Thursday evening or Friday I don't see any activity I'll move my stand and see what happens. During lunch hour I went to GM and turned down my bow to 61lbs, so now I'll have to resight my bow tonight which isn't all that bad.

thanks for your .02

mr

Yup that's what I'm thinking. It's such a slam dunk of a spot that I have to take my chance with other deer. He might be gone for good anyways but who knows, there could be another bigger buck around, right!? I'll keep telling myself that anyways. ;o)

mr