• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portrait work with the 300L and 40D

First, an apology. There have been many great threads this past week, but I've been putting a roof on the house and just haven't had the time or energy to respond to any. Lots of good color shots, aerial photography and travel photos! Impressive. Roof's done, hopefully can get back into the swing of things.

Had the camera out for the first time in a week this afternoon. A week or so ago the question came up about how fast glass worked on the 40D. I hadn't had my 2.8 on my 40D so decided to give it a try to see what kind of results I'd get. Canon 40D, 300L 2.8, 1.4 converter, ISO 400, 1/250 sec, and f/6.3-f/7.1. I used a little off camera fill with a 550EX on manual @ 1/16th power. These were shot off of a tripod at about 8 feet from my feeder.

BJP2.jpg

BJP3.jpg

BJP5.jpg

BJP6.jpg

BJP7.jpg

Nice shots!

Will your roof leak? Or did you hire someone to do it? grin

Wait, I'm picking my self off the floor! Nice MM! Ken beautiful photos, that close up of the Jay is a beauty! So were you happy with the focus speed on the 40D?

Quote:
Will your roof leak? Or did you hire someone to do it?

Thanks, MM. I was smarter than that! I took off the old roof and hauled 20 squares of shingles up the ladder, but hired someone who knew what they were doing to put the new stuff on!

Focus speed was great for this type of subject. Have to brave the basketball court and try it with that! How's the 50D doing lately?

I've run about 800 shots through it but none that challenge the camera. I will put it through some paces tomorrow for its first sports work. I did put a nice scratch in the beautiful high resolution LCD mad

Neat images, Ken. Too bad about being chained to a roof, but of course it'll put the finishing touch on the place and help you sell it. Even in this market, I'm amazed it hasn't sold yet.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want to hit the woods midday this week.

MM,

I don't usually transport with the body attached. I have a soft sided case that works really well for the lens (got it from Steve and he might remember the #)and I have a big Pelican case that I could dedicate to carry with them together, but then nothing else would fit. You've got to want to bring that lens along when you use it - you don't just take it along by throwing it in the box!

Ken,just curious,how do you transport that 300 2.8 with a body attached? Are there cases/bags that are soft sided that provide adequate protection? thanks.

My Tenba backpack carries the 300/2.8 with body attached and a second body with 7 lenses. I usually keep the lens off the body so I can attach what I need for the shoot. But it carries it attached quite nicely.