• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oddest thingsin a fish house

psegriz

When I was building mine I went to menards to get insulation and some paneling. The guy in front of me was buying sheet rock. Asked him if he was redoing a room he replied that he was buying the sheet rock for his fish house an 8x16 same size as mine. I shook my head as I thought how impractical that might be. He noticed and said ya I know it will be heavy but it should look nice when I'm done. That was one ? the others were how will it hold up to moisture, will it be able to take the bouncing that most fish houses take getting on and off the lake. I'd bet he ended up puttin something else in it after a couple yrs.

------------------
Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

my dad had a permanent shack on mille lacs that was a converted freezer truck box i believe, and when he bought it from whomever he bought it, it had mdf particle board walls and ceiling inside. It did not tolerate moisture very well at all. the cieling really bowed down between the studs. I wondered why someone chose that as material for something that was going to be subject to such a variety of conditions.

are you speakin of blueboard? cementboard? As a kid I helped my dad build a "portable" fish house out of masonite, and 2x2's. We made it so you just bolted the walls together then the roof, which slid over the walls a little, then bolted it down. It surprisingly lasted for many years before he sold it once I moved out. It was lightweight, and somehow kept the heat in with no insulation. Just the sunflower keeping us warm. Fish Hard~Work Smart!

A guy on a local lake has a sleeper from a peterbilt semi truck.Pretty light weight for the size and he never seems to have any trouble moving around the lake.Looks kinda odd,but it works.

------------------
Greg

I've always wanted to make a house out of one of the large handicapped Bif's. Of course I'd want a brand new one never used! I always thought that would be a good conversation piece to meet people on the ice while fishing. haha... I get a chuckle just thinking about all the jokes that could come out of that.

Crappiebait

Last fall, my kid offered me a semi-cab sleeper unit as a fishhouse. I have no idea where he got it. I considered it, but the unit was made from steel - not aluminum, so it would have been heavy as ****. Also would have needed some sort of trailer to move it around.

UG

I have sheetrock on the interior of my Perm. house.I used exterior grade rock which is waterproof.It has black paper and only takes about 2 coats of kilz to primer it.It looks great and also adds to the insulation factor,but it adds about 70# per sheet...also I have a textured ceiling with recessed lighting..

------------------
If people weren't supposed to eat animals.
Why are they made out of meat??
FM Stickersl

I have steel siding on the outside of my house (10x16). Then on the inside I have cedar siding. It need to be used up so we put it in the fish house.
It keeps the animals and stuff out in the summer and on top of it all it smells good! grin.gif

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Can't remember if I saw it last winter on Lake of the Woods or the winter before but on the way out to 16 mile reef there was a small grain bin. Probably about 12-16' diameter. Looked like it came right from the farm.

Another thing that struck me as odd was someone had an airplane on skis tied down next to their fish house out on 16 mile. That would definitely cut the drive down from the cities.

I used a sleeper off an International and had a frame built under it. Trailer well and mover very easy. The hard part has been sealing the metal on the inside because of the sweating. But after 2 years of use I have the moisture thing under control. Inside is about 5 by 8. Mike89

When i was a kid my dad built a 10x 18 on MilleLacs, I just sold it last year. It was a nice house, but nothing fancy. Just your average 4 bunks and a heater and oven. Im building a 10 x 20 and am almost done now, I'm gonna have a bathroom, tongue and groove pine, and a couch, so to me that will be kind of sweet! Oh yeah, and a ceiling fan, and 12 volt lighting, and a tv,dvd,and a underwater camera hooked up to the tv, so i can sit on the couch crack a cold one and enjoy the show. Bring on the ice!

REMEMBER TO:CROSS THEIR EYES

Well i can tell you one odd thing im puttin in my fish house, and its pretty red-neckish. A stuffed fish and duck. Cuz a person need some decorations and reminders of the other great seasons out there wink.gif

"You might be a redneck if...you have stuffed animals in your ice-shack."

PSEGRIZZ,
Basically it is an exterior grade sheetrock used for townhomes and apartments.We get ours from Lyman lumber.I'm not sure of the cost, but I have about 400 sheets stockpiled (4x9' sheets)some minor damage to them. The stuff is pretty heavy but helped keep the cold out.(used a sunflower heater on low and was hot in a t-shirt. shoot me an e-mail if your interested in some.\
e-mail is same as on FM logo decal page

------------------
If people weren't supposed to eat animals.
Why are they made out of meat??
FM Stickersl