• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod/Reel Suggestions for Bucktails/DCG

TMBeard

St Criox sling blade with any Shimano 400 and power handle. I personaly like my Curado or my old Corsair for blades, my low geared Okuma takes to much hand speed and tires me more than a higher gear. Lots of good rods out there try and play with a few, and don't skimp on quality.

I'm getting a blade rod this winter and have it narrowed down to a Sling Blade, Loomis Steel or having 1 built. I currently run a 7'6 Croix, MI Monster, 7'10 Loomis and a Thore Bros 8' all throw blades ok but theres better out there. I will get the new blade rod in probley a 9' for ease of 8's and casting.

An abu 6600 will burn out on the bigger bucktails in no time if they're being fished quickly. (I have 3 junk one's sitting on the shelf that didn't last long at all...)

If you're serious about burning the big one's, you need a reel specifically for that, IMO.

I like my Calcutta 400B but have torn it up burning double 10's this year. It's lasted pretty well though, bunch of rookies using it and having the bail snap closed during casting i'm sure didn't help. Hopefully it can be repaired and kept out of damaging hands.

As an all around, the curado is my favorite and so far longest lasting. Look for the thread about low-profile reels, the toro looks interesting, but for hte price, i'm gonna let someone else prove it's strength when the curado is well proven.

Oh and for rods, my personal favorite currently is the Shimano Calcutta Inshore series. Available at thorne bros with an extended butt section that throws just awesome. It throws everyhting up to mag dawgs REALLY well, just a hair on the light side for the mag dawgs, but it works. Paired with a curado, this makes for a GREAT all around setup, really good with jerk baits/wtd baits.

(it also happens to float even with a mag dawg attached if you accidently toss it overboard when your pup steps on some hooks in the boat...ask me how i know.......!)

IMHO. don't skimp on this. you'll more than likely regret it. unless you catch so many fish a few misscues won't matter. i'm happy with my 400 TE. i also don't throw the big girls alot. some, but not like alot of other guys... ultimatly up to you and your pocket book. if it were me, i'd spend the extra money. good luck.

jred, thanks for the heads up on that rod, i'll have to check it out.

JRedig... I definitely can relate to accidently tossing a rod overboard... happened to me at Mille Lacs... was casting a Mag Heli-Dawg... when my reel backlashed... was amazed how well my Edge rod could float... with a 6600SSC3 and Mag Dawg attached... was tired and not thinking straight... gripping it loosely when it just flew out of the hand... Probably the highlight of the day... basically snapped everyone on the boat out of the stupor...

Smeese... I definitely would RECOMMEND that you stop using Big blade bucktails with your 6600... It'll BLOW out in no time... I like to use 6600 for small bucktails, topwaters, or dawgs... but not for DB10 bucktails or bigger... Just get a 7000iC3... it'll last a bit longer... but still could blow it out regardless...

If you want a reel that is going to be almost bulletproof it is going to cost a bit more. The best for big blades and burning bucks are the Penn 975, Calcutta TE 400 or 700, the Daiwa Saltist, and Daiwa Luna (not the greatest for burning DCGs). I have fished with everything except the 975 and all of them are nice reels. I have not heard of any of these blowing out except the Lunas.

tight lines

dan

How do reels "burn out" or what part goes first so to speak? I appreciate the suggestions, and always appreciate an excuse to get a new setup. I have always been a cat fisherman before starting the muskie venture, so I swear by the Abus, but then while catting you are tossing it out and letting it sit so that is completely different. Sorry to override the thread but maybe many will learn from this.

How do reels "burn out" or what part goes first so to speak? I appreciate the suggestions, and always appreciate an excuse to get a new setup. I have always been a cat fisherman before starting the muskie venture, so I swear by the Abus, but then while catting you are tossing it out and letting it sit so that is completely different. Sorry to override the thread but maybe many will learn from this.

I've had a combination of things happen. My 400B will just lock up and freeze mid-retrieve. You canNOT turn the handle until you back it up about a 1/8 turn and try again. Talk about a rhythm killer...

The abu's I have all have had the same failure, 1 way bearing is what I was told by the repair guy. During a retrieve with a lot of pull, the frame distorts/flexes and the gears strip and you end up with no "stop". You go to set the hook and the line peels off and the handle back spins. All of mine have been repaired and failed again within 20 casts next time out.

Quote:
The abu's I have all have had the same failure, 1 way bearing is what I was told by the repair guy. During a retrieve with a lot of pull, the frame distorts/flexes and the gears strip and you end up with no "stop". You go to set the hook and the line peels off and the handle back spins. All of mine have been repaired and failed again within 20 casts next time out.

great example of why i don't skimp on muskie equipment. i'm not against a great deal as long as it's quality. a one piece machined aluminum frame is as good as it gets in smaller inshore, light offshore reels. only because none are made of solid machined brass. luna and TE's fit that bill but because the luna has a straight ''pinion'' gear it just does'nt have the torque the TE's have with the offset gears. plus the luna's drag is a fiber composite which is smooth as silk new, but starts to degrade over the course of a season and then you get a herky-jerky drag with a fish on. not good, TE uses a dartainium drag system, not sure of the make-up, that gives no trouble, as long as you back it off every time you park it for the night, for at least one season of hard core fishing.

if you throw major amounts of big lures the un-matched CTE700 is the choice for longevity ( word of mouth, i don't need one ). if you mix it up a bit and sometimes use big stuff then a CTE400 is great. on the flipside if you go cheap you can get 3 reels for the price of one. flip it again and the smooth effortless retrieves useing those offset gears and superior casting can be a blessing and the sheer power for manhandleing a fish... nuff said. good luck.

side note: i never understood why someone would spend that kind of money on a reel untill i finally did it. the difference is easy to see on the first cast. and worth the money after the first day without sore arms and wrists. young guys don't have to worry, but old guys and women might, lol.

Well said - I finally ponied up and bought a good reel this year. I'd happily trade 3 or 4 of other setups for another good one. I found myself using two set-ups with good reels over and over this year even though I have 4 other rods in the boat.

I have Calcutta's and a Luna but this year got an ABU 7000. It is not even close for DCG in my opinion -- Abu 7000. Not the best for small bucktails but will work.

I just got into Muskie fishing. Bought a brand new 6600 C3, 1 43 1/2" muskie on the first day and then the reel took a dive. I turned the handle and nothing would happen. Abu Garcia (Gander Mountain) replaced it. Oh well, I have a closet full of reals, I just need to burn through them all.

Congrats on the muskie on the first time out. I wasn't so lucky. 10 hours on a cold windy day & 3 ft waves - no fish, but was still great being on the water IMO.

Bummer on the reel, hope it didn't happen until the end of the day or that you had a spare.