• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What boots for the cold

croixflats

When I worked in outdoor retail I looked long and hard at the Ice kings and compared them with the Snow Stalker Extremes.

They have the same temp rating and similar insulations. The big differences come in overall weight and mobility. The Snow Stalker Extremes weight almost 1/2 as much. They also have a slightly smaller size overall and have a rounded bottom. They are as clumsy as the Ice Kings and are great for moving around in. I've hiked all over the lakes early and late season with my Snow Stalker Extremes with great comfort.

I use the Trans Alaska III pac boots, they are the lightest pac boot on the market and your feet and toes stay warm no matter how cold it is outside and how long you stand on the ice with them. I will never go to another boot after owning these.

I just got my new set of the Trans Alaska III pac boots..man I can't wait to get them on the ice. They are the real deal, far lighter than they look. Well worth the price.

Yeah i tried on the Blizzard Stalkers many times. Boots are too much of a cult thing. Everyone has one pair they swear by. At the end of the day just go out and find a pair thats comfortable for you.

I know the Snow Stalker Extremes I love sell for $229 but got an average rating of 4.9 out of 5. The technology in them helps regulate the temp inside the boot so your not getting hot sweaty feet which makes for frozen feet when that moisture cools.

I have probably the worst feet for the cold. Since I have been little my feet were always cold. I have spent a lot of good money on some of the best boots on the market only to be disappointed. After talking with someone who has probably more ice angling hours in one season that I have my whole life (Pat Smith at Thorne Bros) I listened to him and decided to get those Mickey Mouse boots last year at the Ice show. They have been great for me. My feet have stayed warm and dry. Some think they are a bit clumsy but no more than other boots out there. My only complaint is that they are a little short. If they went up the let another 4-6" they would be the best boot period. If they are 40 bucks at Fleet Farm that is a good deal. I think I bought them for around $60 dollars at the show.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

The black boots i think are rated to -20 or -30 something like that. they are plenty warm. the white ones are rated to lower temps and i seriously doubt that someone would need these unless the minuet they step outside your feet are cold. or spending alot of time (12+) hrs out on the ice.

I am definately going to get a pair of mickey mouse boots this year. My brother in law swears by his and he doesn't wear anything but regular cotton socks. I have witnessed him put his foot through the ice and fill his boot with water. He dumped his boot out, rung out his sock and kept on fising without getting cold. They dry out really fast.

My question is this...Do most of you have the boots with or without the valve? Is there anything different in the ratings between the two? I have seen both at various times, however I never really could tell if there was anything other than the valve that made them different.

CA

The only boots that i have known to be authentic bata boots are the ones with the valves. the boots are pretty much a rubber boot plus a wool botom liner and thats about it for insulation. the difference is that the black ones are rated for -20 degrees and -60 degrees.

Drawbacks i have found so far is that the rubber top part of the boot tends to rub on the bottom of my calf so i have to wear tall wool socks(only long sock i have) i would imagine thin wicking hunting socks would work best for these boots. My feet sweat but never get cold i have been out on the ice for 14 hrs for an ice contest plus some ice fishing and feet never got cold and i was the only one in the group. Other problems have been mentioned such as bulkyness, they are pretty tough to drive in so i normally drive in tennis shoes and switch when i get to the lake and bring another pair of socks to switch into later. i hope this helps some on what your looking for.. all in all best boots i have ever owned hands down.

Love the Mickey Mouse boots and they are around $40 at Fleet Farm. Very warm.
YES YES YES YES! These are my favorite boots! They have never got my feet cold. Freinds buy expensive "warm boots" and I laugh when they say there feet are cold. I can't remember the last time I said that. From Late season Ducks and geese, to deer hunting,to ice fishing, to shoveling the driveway........you get the point. They are warm, and cheap (money wise) grin Great boot, Go over to Fleet and see what you think.

The military developed a new replacement boot for the Mickey. And as hard as I tried, I can't find a single picture of them yet. I found the official quartermasters announcement of there release for the field, but no further info or pictures.

It would be interesting to see what they developed with the technology and materials available today. If anyone stumbles across it, post it please...very curious.