• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Test shots

This morning I noticed a nice moon and even though I thought it was a little hazy I decided to take some photos. Both of these were on a tripod at the same settings. Nikon D50 iso 400, f7.1, 1/500s, at 300mm. As for the post processing I processed them the same and sharpened them at 150%. The only difference between the two is one has the VR(IS,OS) on and the other has it turned off. I was amazed at what a difference the VR made. I'll let you guys figure out which one of them was taken without the VR.

moonVR.jpg

moonNoVR.jpg

Hmmmm, let me guess.....#2 is with VR on! Quite a difference between the two. That is a nice sharp shot! Say that three times fast! I really like the color in this, not your normal black and gold moon.

I'd also like to add thanks to both fishinchicks and you for the good conversation last night. Always a great time to meet a few fellow FM'ers, especially ones interested in photography and the outdoors.

It was a pleasure meeting both of you as well. I had a great time getting to know you. I am always surprised how small of a world it is, and how much you can actually have in common with strangers.

Actually #2 is with the VR off. I have read in a few different places that VR on on a tripod can often times soften an image. Although after digging deeper it may also have had a little to do with my technique below is another picture with the VR on. Maybe there isn't as much difference as I thought. Not the first time for me to think I had something figured out, only to find out more information later that changes my opinion again.

VR on f5.6, 1/500, iso 200

moonVR2.jpg

VR off f7.1, 1/500, iso 400

moonNoVR.jpg

Ahhh, fooled again! Canon on a number of their lenses recommend IS off when on a tri pod. I was not sure if Nikon had a similar policy. The IS keeps looking for movement and at times you will see it through the viewfinder, shifts in focus point when on a tri pod.

What does Nikon say about VR use? In your second set of shots I still think the VR off looks a tad sharper to me.

Nikon says the same thing, but knowing how I am I bought the lightest tripod I could so it picks up vibration easy. It takes a while for the camera to stop shaking when I am shooting the moon. That is why I've been trying to figure out just what is sharper in my case. I think for some bright light applications the VR might help me on this light weight tripod. I'm sure you'll see my tripod someday and you will understand what I mean.

I wouldn't have guessed that correctly. I'll have to try leaving the IS off on my next attempt.

It was nice meeting both of you. My head is swimming with tips for shooting sports. I am looking forward to Friday when I can put some of them to the real test.