• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 stroke ice auger

walley

I have a 4 stroke auger, Strikemaster StrikeLite, and like it.

I've used it for 2 seasons and it has always (knock on wood) started, ran, and drilled holes nicely. The +'s are it is light, quiet, no mixing oil w/ gas, no carrying a mixed gas can, and less fumes. The minus is that it is possible to break the plastic fluting on the auger. I did that late last winter when the ice was thick. Strikemaster replaced it no questions asked.

If you do a search, you'll find lots of opinions on this auger.

I have the strike lite and I like it a lot. Light, quiet. I only pull my stuff by hand, so the plastic flighting hasn't been an issue for me, but I could see how it could be if you bang it around travelling.

I only have limited use of 2 strokes, but I wouldn't hesitate going with the 4 stroke. Also sounds like strikemaster has been taking care of their customers who break the plastic flighting.

Been running the Strike Lite for 3 years now.. Issues I have had were powerhead seals blowing out and the plastic flighting breaking.

For the seals, StrikeMaster has remedied this problem with a new breather tube assembly. The older style would not allow the engine to breathe correctly or remove the condensation that built up into the breather tube. No problems with this now.

For the plastic flighting, this was my fault. As with this auger bit, in deeper ice (over a foot), you need to make sure you clean the hole out as you cut down to the water. By simply lifting the auger once or twice before you break through, you remove excess shavings/slush to prevent excess force on the bit. This allows the bit to cut great and not break. This type of scenario should be used on all bits actually, IMHO. In deep ice, pressure can break welds and twists even pure metal bits.

Overall, I love the Strike Lite. Quiet, fast cutting, light, and no more mixing of gas!! I have run bits from 5" to 9", both metal and composite, on this powerhead. All work great.

One of my fishing buddies has one and was with him several days last winter. No problems with overall power or reliability, but don't leave them outside overnight if is going to be below zero because the one he has won't start until he warms it up.

Jim have you heard anything about Jiffy and Strikemaster not being able to get the US Tech motors any more? I hear they are looking to China and other motor brands.

US Tech motors?

Are these the 2 stroke Tecumseh motors that SM and Jiffy have been using for years? That would be abig change.

FYI Maybe everyone knows this already, but the strikelite has a 4 stroke motor made by Robin Engines in Japan.

You won't be disappointed with the Strikelite. The speed it drills is very equivilant to the Lazer (which I owned for several years) but the weight is what I purchased it for. When hole hopping I carry the auger in one hand and the Marcum/rod in the other. I haven't had one problem and I've owned mine for 2 years.

rod bender, if i were catchin perch like that i wouldn't have a problem with the auger if it took me an hour to drill smile.

My father has had a stike lite and has no complaints with the express auger on it. Had a few problems with the carbon auger but SM traded it in for the express auger with no questions asked.

Calm down...

***StrikeMaster still uses U.S. Techumseh motors

No need to spread rumors guys smile I had a meeting at StrikeMaster and brought this to their attention and you will have the same motors in their augers this year as you have in years past. Nothing will change.

I don't know about Jiffy, but I can assure you that StrikeMaster didn't go to China for their motors for any auger you intend to buy anytime soon.

Where did some of you hear this info?

Been running the Strike Lite for 3 years now.. Issues I have had were powerhead seals blowing out and the plastic flighting breaking.

For the seals, StrikeMaster has remedied this problem with a new breather tube assembly. The older style would not allow the engine to breathe correctly or remove the condensation that built up into the breather tube. No problems with this now.

For the plastic flighting, this was my fault. As with this auger bit, in deeper ice (over a foot), you need to make sure you clean the hole out as you cut down to the water. By simply lifting the auger once or twice before you break through, you remove excess shavings/slush to prevent excess force on the bit. This allows the bit to cut great and not break. This type of scenario should be used on all bits actually, IMHO. In deep ice, pressure can break welds and twists even pure metal bits.

Overall, I love the Strike Lite. Quiet, fast cutting, light, and no more mixing of gas!! I have run bits from 5" to 9", both metal and composite, on this powerhead. All work great.

Jim, could you post a picture of the new breather tube assembly? I wanted to see if mine has the upgraded tube or not.

Hey Matt, where did you get your info? I heard from insiders in auger business that Tecumseh engines are going to ship their last engines by end of December and after that no more engines or parts for Jiffy or Strikemaster engines. This is going to be a serious issue. Jiffy has one new chinese motor and Strikemaster has yet to find one for next year. How are we going to get parts and service for our augers after this year?

The exact weight of a Nils 8 inch auger is 22 pounds. I have had no issues to date with any of the Nils auger I have owned. I will say this, treat the shaver blade right and it will treat you good. On a lake like Upper red with alot of sand in the ice, the blade will dull a bit qicker than a shaver blade.