• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tulibee in MN

aquafang

Anyone have any info on catching tulibee through the ice in MN? It really sounds fun and I would like to give it a try. What time of the year is best? Early ice mid winter, etc. What do you use for bait/lures?
What lakes and how deep?

Thank you,

aquafang

Mille Lacs and Cass are both good choices. Small jigging spoons tipped with maggots seem to work prety good. Look for these fish to come through suspended on the flasher, and they will chase the bait up and down. I've had good luck during mid-winter for tulibee, always seem to find them on classic walleye spots. Large flats with any abrupt changes always draw in fish.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

If anyone has any information on how to or fishes for tulibees I would be interested in trading trips. I would offer some NE South Dakota perch and crappie fishing for some helpful info on spots to catch a few tulibee.

thank you

MilleLacs lake can be hot. Last year i did manage to lasoo (sp) one out on the mud, we had the camera down watching them swim around our jigs like shark in a tank, they would come in smoking and just stare at the bait. We had a blast watching them then all of a sudden i felt a pull, i was in awe cuz i could see my jig with nothing on it. I pulled it in and it was a tulibee that wrapped the line around its tail, a pretty good fight too.

[This message has been edited by DCON (edited 08-21-2004).]

aquafang,
I'd be willing to show you a few spots on Mille Lacs when you head this way. Search lures with a small Ratso always seals the deal. I've also caught quite a few on small jigging spoons packed with maggots. Sometimes you'll get them to hit the bait hard no matter the size of lure, but a good majority of the time you have to downsize and make them chase it for a while before they strike. You can get them to chase it 10-15 feet up and they won't hit, but if you drop it below them once they rise and twitch it very fast they will often times dart down and grab it on the fall.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever