• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trouble with 1996 Johnson 25HP 3CYL

Brian C

Problems started after I replaced the voltage regulator. I was out on the water when I noticed smoke coming from under the hood, the voltage regulator had got so hot it had started to melt the back of the regulator. The key start no longer worked. So I replaced the voltage regulator from a company called CDI. The key start works and all seemed to be good.

I took the boat out on the water and after about two to three miles of running the motor shut off (instant death) just as if I turned the key off. The motor would start right back up but do the same thing again. After this happened several times, the only way it would stay running is if I kept the motor either at idle or slightly above.

I took the motor into a marine mechanic where I had the water pump replaced and a leakdown and compression test done, this revealed that the motor was like new. He also tested the key switch and the safety tether, all good. This is an intermittent problem that apparently is hard to test because when it dies it will start right back up. The marine mechanic said the problem was probably the stator or the CDI unit(computer module). The problem I have with this, is that both pieces are about $200 to $300 each.

Any suggestions? Please help

The mechanic can and should have tested the stator. The power pack, however, can't be bench tested. All other components can be tested, if all test fine, the problem is the power pack (CDI). I have been using the company you mentioned for a while now and so far, not had any issues.