• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aitkin, Emily, Palisade MN area

I finished school last December in South Dakota and enjoyed 4.5 years of the best hunting I have ever seen. Now I am back in the Twin Cities wishing I was still in school just for the hunting perks. Anyways, hunting around the metro has been quite poor compared to what I am used too and talking about it is only self embarassment! I grouse hunted around the Emily area two weekends ago and did quite well. I will be going up again this weekend and am wondering how the duck/goose numbers look this year. I have never waterfowl hunted in the area but am going to give it a try. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated. I am not looking for your secret spot but if you know of an area I may want to consider let me know. I will also be scouting on Saturday in order to hunt Sunday morning. Also if anyone is interested I have a boat and well trained dog, if anyone is interested in joining me please let me know. Thank you in advance for you help.

I hunted in this outing this weekend north of emily on 6 saw a few birds nothing really to speak of a couple nice flocks of 15-20 birds mostly ringnecks and a couple teal,not many mallards though and was really curious about that cause a buddy of mine has a place by squaw lake and the mallards are all over. Not much of anything for geese. Talked to a guy thogh and he said guys were doing pretty good on big rice north of outing Still on Highway 6.Its a non motorized lake so time pushing a canoe is the way to go. but none of this is comparable to the dakotas thats for sure.

We were pretty close to Big Rice last weekend and saw good numbers of birds. I'd start your scouting right on Big Rice. I don't think its much of a secret as there are good numbers of hunters there all the time. They don't allow motors out there so you need to do it the old fashioned way with oars. I was surprised at how little shooting we heard. Also we drove around some but the weather was to wet for grousing to be much fun.

Good Luck - erik

Wow! I really appreciate all the quick resposes. It sounds like North of Emily is the place to be. I saw on the DNR's web page there is a public spot up around that area. I believe it was called the Land O' Lakes WMA. I may start up that way. Any word about Palisade/Aitkin area. I know there is a river that runs through Palisade there must be backwaters somewhere also saw a few public spots up and down Hwy 169. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

hey jr check out laura lake I was on it this past weekend and saw lots of birds there is lots of rice and you can use motors and not tons of hunters like big rice. It is straight west of big rice so you get some of those birds to come by and alot from leech come that way. Good Luck