• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Proctor Pete

Putting a truck camper to bed

Hello. I just entered into the world of Truck Camping and I don't have the foggiest idea how to prepare my camper for the winter season. I purchased it used and there was no instruction manual with it.

My camper will be stored outside but it will be supported on heavy duty saw-horses as well as the four jack-stands that are mounted to the camper. My biggest question is placing a tarp over the top and how to keep it taut and snow free. Any other tips and tricks would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance for the help and if there is a previous thread on this subject please feel free to direct me there.

Pete

Turn off the gas, drain the tanks, fill the water lines with RV anti freeze, and that should pretty much do it. Look through your manuals to see if you have a hot water tank by pass, if not you will have to literally fill the hot water tank with RV anti freeze. If your hot water tank is larger enough it would pay put in a hot water tank bypass system in to allow you just drain the tank instead of filling it.

Keeping the tarp taut would probably be best accomplished with bungee cords. Keeping the snow off, just put something under the tarp to form a peak, couple of plastic garbage cans should do the trick.

Be sure to put heavy duty support underneath it and take most of the load off the jacks, in fact if you can actually lower it the most it will be beneficial, be sure you have a way to rais it up agan in the spring. Wind can catch the thing and knock it over. The jacks fastening to the body is not the strongest for side pressure.

I like to give it a little slope to the roof to help water and snow slide off easily.

The suggestion to lower the camper down to the lowest point the jacks will allow, is probably the best method to storing it outside. Depending on your jacks, two cement blocks stacked on top of one another and a support beam between them will allow the camper to rest firmly for the winter and like said before close to ground level for wind and also easy access to make sure every thing inside is ok for check-ups.

If at all possible store it on the south east side of a garage or building. Will be out of direct winter winds and the warming sun at times will melt any snow possibly.

Throw a couple of moth balls or mouse bait inside to keep the mice out of it too.

Farmer

Keeping the tarp taut would probably be best accomplished with bungee cords. Keeping the snow off, just put something under the tarp to form a peak, couple of plastic garbage cans should do the trick.

I put two plastic garbage can covers over my roof vents under the tarp.

One thing I found with covering mine,If I do it to early (warm weather)I had mold,mildew grow under the tarp when uncovering it in spring.Mine is now untarped this next week looks like colder weather to stay,I'll make sure its dry and colder then tarp.