• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you hunt the ditch in minnesota?

Also bear in mind that agricultural land that is not platted consumes the right of way or road ditch to the centerline of the road; therefore ditches are effectively privately owned property and like all ag land, does not need to be posted. As an owner/operator of several parcels zoned ag, I have had an ever increasing incidence of tresspassing over the last three years. I believe it is a result of urban sprawl, absentee ownership, and arrogant disregaurd. Neighboring farmers have successfully pressured the local sportsmans club to manufacture and errect road signs that read "NO ROAD HUNTING". This is the first season of their use so I cannot report on their result. Myself, I would much preffer to recind the idea and deal with individuals whom ask for (and don't bother to ask for) permission to hunt on a more personal basis. When in doubt, ask, it's best for the sport and the sportsman.

Excellent post graingrower!

This debate occurs every year. The answer about hunting the ditch in Minnesota is that MOST of the time it is ILLEGAL!

In the rare case that it is legal, if the land adjacent to the ditch is posted, one cannot legally retrieve their bird without permission from the land owner. This means the hunter must flush, shoot and retrieve all within the confines of the ditch.

Please just go find some public land or ask permission. Don't make a farmer angry and ruin the opportunity for the hunters who put in the effort to ask permission.

we had a problem with hunters walking the ditches next to our crp, crep, and tree rows. they were allowing their dogs to enter our property and flush birds that would then fly over the ditch to try to escape across the road to the cattails. after 3 weeks of looking at legal documentation about the road easements, we said screw it and just mowed and baled the ditches off. problem solved.

I am glad to see people with some good common sense posting on this topic. I cannot do anything but totally agree with your principles on this subject, graingrower. Respecting other people's rights and privacy is important if we are all going to get along and prosper. Bagging a bird or catching a fish is the BONUS of a well planned hunting or fishing trip. If we quit thinking we are entitled to rewards and start earning our benefits our world may just become a better place.

This topic comes up every year. Do a search on this site and you will all the information that you need.

Without a fair a mount of research you can not tell if a ditch is public or private. It does not matter if the ditch is along a state hwy, a county rd or a township rd, since in all cases the road could be part of an easement or it could have been taken in fee title.

With all the public land I have decided that it is not worth taking the risk of hunting in a ditch.

glenn57, that's exactly what this thread boils down to... the "road hunters" just want to make excuses for what they know deep down is just plain wrong. There's plenty of state ground to walk to get some birds.