• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck Shocks Life Span??

I have a 2004 GMC 1500 4 x 4 with about 55,000 miles and I am getting new tires this week and was curious as to how often you guys have put new shocks in your trucks? I have heard that every time you put new tires on you should put new shocks in, just want to know what others have seen. Thanks in advance

I replaced the shocks on my '02 Dakota 4x4 at 60k. After pulling them out, they were almost completely shot. I would say their ability to dampen was less than 25% of brand new. I wanna say the stock shocks are Gabriel?

Put in some Bilstein mono tubes and they still ride like new after 30k. More costly, but they function better and should last longer this time.

The rule about each set of tires is pretty accurate for OEM and basic shocks depending on what kind of tires. Road tires can last 60-70K miles and some mud tires only last 30K miles. I've found that 45-50K mile mark to be pretty accurate for OEM shocks.

I also have Bilsteins and they are great. I got them after replacing my old ones at 28K miles. They were shot, but I off-road with my Xterra.

Ehmm....I just replaced the second set on my Dodge 3500 after 117,000 miles. Ok, ok, I neglected it a little. I went with stock OEM they give me better comfort than KYBs, and they last longer too.

This i an interesting thread. I was just talking to my mechanic about this a couple weeks ago and asked him the same question. He answered the question by laughing. He said he has not replaced a set of shocks for at least three years becuase people just don't do it anymore. I thought that was kinda nuts and he agreed. I will be replacing my second set this winter on a 96 chev 1500 with 180,000k probably went a little to long this time.

I replaced them on my Tacoma at 110,000 miles.

I just replaced the O.E.'s on a Camry (i know its not a truck) last night. The fronts where fine but one of the springs broke. The rears where a little soft. 266,000 miles! They need them when they need them. If they are leaking, cupping tires, or allowing the vehicle to bounce out of control its probably time. If you think you need them it can't hurt.

My personal thought is at some point your going to need to replace them. Why not do it at a point where you get some benefit out of it. Meaning many people don't replace them until the vehicles have many miles on them and then they trade in or sell the vehicle shortly after.

My 97 Tacoma has 111,000 miles on it and I haven't changed 'em.My wifes 95 Camry has 196,000 miles on it and I haven't changed 'em. What are the advantages to changing them out? Better ride and handling? I know her Camry has a slight clunking sound once and awhile in the rear.I just figure with almost 200,000 miles, is it worth it? How much money does a guy spend for this procedure?

I know her Camry has a slight clunking sound once and awhile in the rear.

Replace the rear sway bar bushings. $20 and 45 minutes and the clunk will likely be gone. You can also grab the bar with the car on the ground near the bushing and try to move it up and down. If it moves replace them.

They will ask you if it is a 14mm or 17mm sway bar. Measure it with either a 14mm or 17mm wrench. Most are 17mm.