• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What knife to you guys use for cleaning deer. AKA butchering?

Christopher Quast

I am looking into buying a good boning knife for cleaning deer and I'm not sure what kind to buy. So what I'm looking for are some good brands for holding their edge and also just the right amount of flexibility in the blade.

If you could please include the brand,price and where you can purchase them. Thanks

I use one of those boning knives (fillet knives) that I found years ago laying on the ground. It is a packing plant knife and has done an awesome job on fish, deer, and whatever else. Sharpens easily and very flexible. Clearly, it was meant for red meat. If you have a hook-up in a plant, see if you can get one of those, probably for free.

Personally I started using a Normak fillet knife. Its not a boning or skinning knife, but I like the flexible blade and they are easy to sharpen. When cutting around bone and hair it seems easier to me to just do a quick resharpen as needed.

I know I won't go back to the old lockback like above or a Buck knife. They are versatile, but not flexible. I don't know that I would use a full knife set if I had it. Who knows.

I use a baby buck knife for skinning, and an old fillet knife for boning out the deer. This year I bought a Gerber 2 in one knife, gut hook, 3 inch blade, and saw all in one case. I really like it, but haven't used it yet, so the verdict is still out. Maybe this weekend.

forschner-victornox makes really good knives in many styles. They are inexpensive, relatively, and dishwasher safe with the fibrox handle. They are widely available from Internet sources links to which I cannot post because of course they are not sponsors. One site sells books as well and is named after a long south american river. The 6 inch flexible boning knife is 16 bucks.

I usually use my Chicago Cutlery knifes for butchering. The fillet, the 6" boning, and the larger 7" I think? They steel up real nice between quarters and are relatively cheap. The fillet knife skins off the silver skin nicely. I use the other 2 for the larger cuts of muscle groups and roasts.

The nice thing about butchering your own deer is no fat, no hair, no blood shot meat, no bone sawdust! Just high quality meat and grind trimmings!

Good Luck,

Ferny.

I use a Wustof boning knife for all my butchering work. My wife is a trained chef so she came with her own set of knives. I've found the Wustof really holds and edge well and is still easy to sharpen. I've used filet knives in the past, but they are too limber for my tastes. A good boning knife has a little less bend to it.

Ditto Hubercita..Get a couple Wustof's and you won't go back to your hunting style or filet knives ever again...They are what is meant for the job..Little pricey up front but a lifetime replacement warranty...There are also plenty of other forged boning knives out there as well...

I actually use a knife made from a old logging bandsaw. It is the greatest knife I have ever used. Years ago my neighbor took a old bandsaw blade and cut it up, ground it down, made a handle, and that is the best boning knife I have ever used. Holds a edge great, and is easy to sharpen.

Froggy

Several sharp ones. OK, trying to be funny here.

Just about any knives will do, but make sure they are sharp - that'll make all the difference for you. And keep a sharpener handy to true up the edge now and again.