• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting on Public Access Lakes

I have a question. I scouted out some lakes and at the access of some of these lakes includes a sign listing unlawful activities, among the list includes fires, drinking alcohol beverages and also listed is "shooting". I took the safe assumption that hunting was not allowed on these lakes. Some of the smaller lakes were farther out from towns that included this no shooting rule. Others that were closer to town had no such sign. This is certainly confusing, can someone help put some perspective or reasoning on this matter? Does no the shooting rule apply to the lake itself or the small land mass encompassing the public access?

Thanks!

No shooting from the public access. If you hunt within legal cover (see DNR waterfowl supplement) and are not within city boundaries that do not allow firearm discharge, you should be OK. When in doubt, call a sheriff or local CO.

I've always been told that the signs at the public access regarding what you mention refer to activities at the access land. The lake itself falls under regular hunting/fishing/boating/recreation laws or rules set by the state or municipality or other local agency.

Use the Internet to get the numbers and those you get in contact with should be able to help you from there. If you call the DNR (as I did) they will direct you to the local police department/sheriff. DNR Office Locations: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/contact/locator.html

So, I did both, called DNR (spoke with two different CO's) and I called the local police department for the town nearest to my destination. I ended up getting BAD information and had a conversation with the police after getting off the lake and a note on my truck from a resident reminding me this was a no hunting lake. Even doing the right planning doesn't always ensure you are doing the right thing. I guess someone was giving out bad information at the city PD. Nonetheless I didn't get a ticket and the officer had been receiving multiple complaints about shooting all over the area that morning. I also heard, not more than a 1/4 mile away, someone sighting in their rifle! Not to mentioned a pond adjacent to me of other duck hunters. I tell you, this is a VERY frustrating situation and it further reminds me to save my money for my own land and not have to deal with this kind of [PoorWordUsage].

BTW, the ducks decoyed GREAT! smile Too bad I cannot hunt it anymore. frown

Yeah but I would expect the officer who pulled into the access to know the law... He is calling me back today to follow-up and to get the situation clear. Apparently it is a bow hunting only zone and someone at the police department told me it was OK. It appears the PD needs to get a better understanding themselves. This is the frustrating part. I was hunting from my boat in cattails.

Then I think about all the tax dollars I pay...