• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Locatorsand heater questions

MT Net

I know it's early, but it's time to start saving before the upcoming ice season. I'm looking into some new equipment, a locator and new heater.

Which do you prefer, Marcum or Vexilar, why?

How about any recomendations for a portable Fishtrap heater?

I'm starting to get anxious for ice time, just need to budget my pennies.

Your welcome to the smilie bit. wink.gif

I'm really more interested in heater selection.

I tried to be funny with the V vs. M debate here as it pops up yearly. But it was way past my land 'o nod time; poor attempt, my apologies.

sleeping-smiley-013.gif

I may just see what's out there for used flashers.

MT Net,

I'm going to be selling off my Zercom Colorpoint this fall. Its basically a Marcum LX-1. It doesn't have a interference rejection mode so my dad's vexilar will drive it nuts. If you fish alone or with people who don't have Vexilars, its a great flasher. I also have an open water transducer for it.

Oh, I'm upgrading to a Marcum LX-3 for many reasons! I'm voting for Marcum... Debate settled!

i use the mr. heater cooker - heater combo the one that sits on its own wire stand, i love it because it keeps the heat down near the ice so that your feet don't get cold and the fact that you can keep the big tank outside the house is a big space saver. or they can also run of the one pounders. being able to flip the heater up and warm some beans while the brats are on the grill just outside the door is great to!!

Mr Heater cookers are a good choice, I've been using those for years. The Mr Heater Buddy is pretty nice too, a little more spendy but you get what you pay for. The small sunflowers work good for one-man flip-over houses in moderately cold conditions. What type of fish house are looking at heating? 2 man Fishtrap?

As far as a flasher is concerned, I fish with the LX-3, it suites me the best and it is an incredible flasher. But its all personal opinion.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Thanks for the tips. I have a 3 man fishtrap and an old Mr. heatercooker that has been through the mill. No longer works. Sounds like I should replace it with another mr. heater cooker?

Thanks again for the tips!

If you have the extra cash than I would go with the Buddy, but the Cooker will work just fine too.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

i would have to strongly disagree with choosing a buddy.....they are defiantly not enough to heat a one man on a cold day, so heating a three man would be far from a realistic expectation. i have one and think it could quite possibly be the biggest waste of money ever.

they blow out way to easy.

they go through way to many one pounders.

if they get bumped, even just a little, they go out.

if it hadn't been a christmas gift i'd be really mad!!!!!

Ditto on the "Buddys'" output. You WILL regret that decision one evening about the same time the 'Eyes or Crapps are rollin' through. Rebuild/repair the heater-cooker you've got. You'll be money ahead and know what it'll do. If it was too small before, upgrade before the bite starts.

I'm still undecided on the Buddy Heater.

I do know that you can NOT run them off 1 pound tanks. You go through a ton of them and they have a hard time heating my Otter Den. Thats the little, 1 man, Otter.

BUT, I did start running the Buddy Heater off a 11 lb tank and I think the heat output is a lot better. Plus, you are not wasting money on 1 pound tanks.

Anyway, on a very cold day, I'm grabbing my Mr. Heater sunflower heater. That'll turn that Otter in to a sweatbox in no time at all.

You guys must like it hot inside your portable. smile.gif I guess I spend too much time outside my portable hole hopping, I must like the cold grin.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I've never understood the guys that don't think the buddy puts out enough heat. No, it won't make it 80 inside your shanty, but who wants it that hot anyways? I've got a dynaglo, identical to the buddy, and it works great in my one man fishtrap. I've had it out in way below zero conditions, and it keeps me comfy. It does eat one pounders, but when you are a mobile, active fisherman, you don't need it all the time, and the portability and ease of use more than make up for the shortcomings.

Over the years I've had the Mr. Heater sunflower which was excellent for keeping the tent warm.

Then I got a Mr. Buddy and after using it twice I gave it to my son because it didn't have enough BTU's keep the tent warm.

Then I got the heater/cooker which is the best one I've found. Easy to stow, I can cook my lunch, and keep the tank outside, and it keeps me warm.

------------------
If your are lucky enough to go fishing; you are lucky enough.

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 07-28-2004).]

mobile fisherman.......what are you getting at?. are you saying because i prefer a certian heater over the other i fish diferently as well?. last time i checked my mr.heater took up less room in my one man than my buddy. you must not spend much time on the ice either....guess you've never been on the lake and the temp drops 20 and the wind kicks up in a short time....not to mention you can always just turn it down or off, but once you top her out you aint getting any more. i'd rather have too much than not enough!!!!!

Joe,
I wear long underwear under my jeans grin.gif You going to be at the ICE events again this year?

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle