• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Q? on LP tanks?

fishingguy

I was planning on building a small wood box on the hitch, of the house I'm building for 2, 20# LP tanks. To help keep the snow and Ice off them and help protect them will traveling. But My brother told me not to. He said if there enclosed, or inside the house where its warmer, they can freeze up and stop the flow of propane. Anyone know if this is true? Or can I tell him he's full of it!

I run my mr. heater inside my portable and it works fine warm, I also have used my grill when its as warm or as cold as mn wants to be with no problems. i could be wrong but I think hes talk'n ya. the only thing i would maybe be concerned about is enclosing the vapors if you get a leaky tank.

He is right to a point. Bring a cold LP tank into a warm environment and it will frost shut. Should be no problem for your application. Why enclose them though? $40 of tank and how much money and time spent to enclose them. Unless you have a very long hitch, It's going to decrease your turning radius and will only deter the "honest" folk from thieving them.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

I typically run a Mr. Heater head on my tank inside my Otter portable. The tank sits on the ice, it works fine.

I've also run a Mr. Heater Buddy Heater in my same portable. Now I have a heater, hose, and tank inside the Otter- all of this will be sitting on the ice. Never had a problem except the Buddy Heater doesn't keep it as warm as I'd like.

I've also run a Mr. Heater Cooker in my portable with a hose running OUTSIDE the house and the propane tank sitting OUTSIDE on the ice or snow. Never had a problem with that set up either.

I think you'll be fine. If you are worried about leaking gas for some reason. I'd try to vent the enclosure in an area that is least likely to get covered with snow, ice, rain, etc.

I really was just building the box to hold them. I don't have a rack for them to be stored, so I thought that would work. I don't have an overly long tongue on this house. But didn't have any other ideas. Where else you guys haul them? Where can I buy a rack cheap? Thanks for all the advice.

fishingguy,
A 20lb l.p. tank fits into a plastic milk crate like a dream. I carry my tanks in the back of my truck in the crates works great. You should also be able to transport them in your house along the front wall incase of sudden stops. I hope this helps smile.gif.
Take care, BD110

You know, I saw a 11 lb tank the other day. It was nice and short and about as wide as a 20 lb. It would fit real nice into my portable. Probably would get a couple days of heat on the ice before a refill.

perchpapa,

I have 2 of those 11 lb tanks. They work great. Yes, you can get a couple full days on the ice with one. I've got 2 because you have to refill them more often and the one will always go empty on me out on the ice.

I use them in my little Otter portable with a regular sunflower heater. Its nice cause the heat is a little closer to the snow and ice.

hanson, I use a mr. heater/cooker now with a 20 lb tank. Mainly because when I was using the sunflower heater on the 20 lb tank it was always tipping over or my face was to close to it when I bent over and it is to tall to carry in the portable so you have to take it apart. But I bet a sunflower heater is pretty slick with an 11 lb tank.