• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cougar sighting

fishinmajishin

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible there is more tail there than I thought. It may just be hanging a little lower than the height of the short grass. The tail on most cougars is close to the same length as the body so initially I thought there was no way it was a cougar.

I agree with hunter4life. It doesn't even walk like a cat. Look at it closely. The black you see is the back leg. The tail appears short and white around the edge. Its right rear leg moves very similar to a deer, and its foots has the shape of a deer.

From what i see on the full screen and pause/play, i see cougar. The black i see looks like a tail, the head is smaller than a deer, and the ears seem short and kinda pointy (cat like). To me it does not walk like a deer, steps seem too short and fast. But i guess it is what it is, too bad it coulndt be on video a little sooner.

Hey wheres_the_fish - you should submit that vid to the DNR and then to WCCO's "good question" to have them independently research the concept of wild cougars in MN. Personally I have no doubt that they are more prevalant than the DNR cares to admit. One of my two hunting buddies saw one in his headlamp-light while walking to his stand in SE MN 4 or 5 years ago. Right around that time the Pioneer Press ran a story about a lady in Red Wing watching a Cougar and its cubs playing in her backyard although the DNR denied they were Cougars.

WI DNR has finally verified their presence (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/cougar/) and I read earlie this year that they believe their cougars came from the black hills. Perhaps the MN DNR thinks they hitch-hiked across our state but none decided to take up residence here?

I just looked at video, in my mind its a cougar. Tan fur, whiteish underbelly, long tail, black tip. I also have a stuffed bobcat it doesnt look at all like video. I watched a bobcat while hunting last season and they are kind of more compact and hurried in their walk, whereas this cougar is kind of on a unconcerned strut. I believe....

lol..if anyone thinks that video is anything other then a cat they should go get their vision checked.

that cats tail almost touches the ground....u can see the black patches of grass in the background...when the cat walks past that you can see it's black tip of it's tail is below that patch...if you hit replay and just stare at the tail you can see that its tail moves the grass after the cat already went past.

I can't believe this has gone on this long debating whether or not the cat in the video is a cougar or a bobcat.

After reviewing the footage and pausing the video at various points, I could see that the tail that so many claim almost touches the ground is false. The black line that shows up that might appear to be a tail is actually the back of the leg of the cat and might be exaggerated by the camera quality.

The tail in fact is a stub. Or in other words, a Bobcat.

I can't believe that I actually got sucked in to this stupid disagreement and watched the video. Oh, yeah, I think that is one big cat and not a bobcat either. Seems to be a lot of sightings this year, maybe they are making a comeback. An email about cougers in the area just circulated to the staff at my school.