• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cougar sighting

fishinmajishin

yes, i've been out on stand since, when i can make it. haven't drawn back on anything since either, but don't get me wrong, i have still seen deer. Been getting bucks yet on the cameras, just not many of the shooters i had this summer. they are starting to rub, but haven't seen any scrapes at all.

Hunt the sunflowers, you'll see deer!

By the way, your post kinda sounded like you know who I am, or at least I should know you?

also, sauk centre was the town I was referencing to

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although you do look somewhat familiar, I would think it's just coincidence. Your location says Bertha, so I just assumed there. I grew up in LF(no the cat wasn't there either), and have spent many many of my days hunting/fishing in west Morrison/east Todd Co's.

You attained somewhat celebrity status here with your early trophy, and was just curious as to how your season was "progressing"(is that possible after a highlight like that?!) Also was wondering about the buck situation after pulling out the dominant buck(assumiung he was). Any others "take charge", move in/out, etc?

I was up at my spot north of Perham a week ago. Just a couple of rubs, but a huge scrape 20 yards from my stand. Ground tore up good 5' across. Ripley this weekend, the weekend after some fishing, then back north for the chasin first week of Nov.

Well if it is 45 miles north of Big Lake then you are talking about the Milaca or surrounding area.

I was talking to a farmer at the county fair this year and he said he seen a cougar on his property. He lived about 8 miles east of Princeton on the north side of Hwy. 95

I hunt the Dalbo area for deer and bear and have had no run ins yet with a cougar and do not need one in the near future. There is no doubt they are out there by all the sightings being reported.

I have heard of one being caught on a trail cam in the middle of the day hitting a bear bait pile about 3 weeks ago just north and east of Brainerd..this is from very reliable sources that have seen the pictures and have experience trapping, etc and know the difference from a bobcat and a cougar..their guessing its a young male...I'll be watching the trees deer hunting this year..kinda makes it a challenge eh?

Cougar in the Floodwood area earlier this year caught with a trail camera, similar sightings in Cromwell and Carlton area. Have not seen one myself, but with the pictures, reputable source sitings, etc. I know they're around.

I've seen a mamma cougar and her two babies that were 3/4 her size at St. Croix state forest 5yrs ago while on stand bowhunting. At first I thought "here comes some deers" until they were about 40yds and I got a clear view. I don't know what gets my heart pumping more, cougers or a trophy buck.

Boatfixer--there is a viable Lynx population in Minnesota. Went to a talk given by a UMD grad student who had captured and radio collared a number of Lynx. He was able to discover several dens the next spring with kittens or whatever you call a young Lynx. He had some pretty good photos and maps showing marked males really travelling. Right around Two Harbors was one of the dens. He thinks the Lynx's ability to survive and maintain populations in Minnesota is related to the number of snowshoe hares.

Told by who?

Although I get nervous in the woods knowing there has been a couple sightings - dont know if I would do the three S's. We hear about a couple cougar-human encounters, but are those not in more populated areas?

It is VERY rare for a cougar to attack a human. Deer have been known to kill humans, they have very sharp danderous hooves and I do not recall us hunting folk being scared of a deer in the bush ,so relax and enjoy the privelage of being able to see a cat in the outdoors. Folks I do not get out much who in the heck is Linda Hogan?

It is VERY rare for a cougar to attack a human. Deer have been known to kill humans, they have very sharp danderous hooves and I do not recall us hunting folk being scared of a deer in the bush ,so relax and enjoy the privelage of being able to see a cat in the outdoors. Folks I do not get out much who in the heck is Linda Hogan?

Folks have been known to be attacked by deer...those who thought dousing themselves in hot-doe scent was a good idea.

Linda Hogan...coooooogah

Biff...nice avatar man she has nice teeth...howd ya do at Ripley?

Spivak, after further review, the call is reversed.

I was basing my statement on what I have heard for years from the DNR. Was it Chris Burdette? This is a quote from him:

"Hare populations boom and bust in about seven-year cycles. But in recent population booms, the lynx were missing. By the mid-1990s, lynx were considered gone from Minnesota. Until now. Three years ago, the cats were spotted again -- on the Sawbill Trail up the hill from the North Shore, near Isabella and near Ely."

I stand corrected. Thanks

For the first time there I did ok. Found some really good spots that people overlook, and would be great places just to sneak into without putting up a stand at 7 am. Saw one really nice 8 pt but out there about 75 yds. Ended up seeing 8-9 does/fawns, passed on a six. Shot a small doe at 4:15 Mon. Passed on one Sat, so this one had to get the shaft. Friends of mine were there in two parties of 3. They got nada.

There's been several around the Le Sueur/Belle Plaine area. I saw one just off HWY 169 between Belle Plaine and Jordan back in '98.

I don't think I'd be too concerned about it either as long as I wasn't in full camo hunting turkeys. If the cat can identify you as a human, it will more than likely run the other way.

About 10 years ago the folks living across the road from my folks(a few miles north of Elko) saw a cougar stalking a rabbit in their garden. they called the dnr and were told that there were no such animals in the state. Being from canada, they insisted they were right and told the person on the phone about the tracks. Someone came out to look, saw the tracks, and immediately got on the phone. They were told to keep it quiet as they didn't want to start a panic.

Also, I hunt deer with a friend in western wisc. They have been seeing a lynx recently. He and his kin aren't spreading it around in their area because they are afraid the dnr will close deer season in their area to protect the lynx. Apparently they(dnr) have done this before, according to him.