• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Destinations...2004-2005

Matt Johnson

You can never prepare too early for an ice fishing trip. Let's hear some of your ice fishing destinations for this winter. Where you would like to go, or where are the hot destinations going to be for this winter?

I'll toss 10 out there...

1) Lake of the Woods, Minnesota/Canada
Always a good choice for walleye, sauger, pike, crappies and perch.

2) Red Lake, Minnesota
A crappie fisherman's dream. 12-14 inch crappies are the norm. Another heavily sought after species is pike, and they are big in Red Lake!

3) Horseshoe Chain, Minnesota
Catfish through the ice! If you haven't tried it, than you're missing out.

4) Glacial Lakes, South Dakota
Excellent perch and walleye fishing! A series of lakes filled with both quality and quantity.

5) Devils Lake, North Dakota
Everyone knows about the perch in Devils Lake, but it is also home to big pike, walleye and whitebass.

6) Rainy Lake, Minnesota
This lake has it all, walleye... pike... panfish... an ice fisherman's paradise. I got two words...SLAB CRAPPIES!

7) Spirit Lake, Iowa
This lake is a fish factory!

8) Whitefish Chain, Minnesota
Bull bluegills...slab crappies...monster walleyes...giant pike...need I say more smile.gif

9) Reedsburg Area, Wisconsin
Great scenery and awesome fishing for panfish and walleye.

10) Metro Area Lakes, Minnesota
I had to throw this one in there grin.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 07-21-2004).]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Otter Tail, it's only about a half-hour away. Of course, Winni...

Maybe a few other small lakes around here...and, of course, Winni...

That comment about the Glacial Lakes area of SD brought back some good memories...some of the best days I've had through the ice have been on Waubay. And, or course, I'll probably get up to Winni to do some ice fishing.

OK, I've got a list. It is very similar to Matt's.

1) Lake of the Woods -I've icefished LOW more than any other lake in the state I believe.

2) Upper Red Lake -We're dropping the permanent sleeper house on Red for this winter. Its going to be my first year with a sleeper, should be fun!!

3) Mille Lacs... Until I find out I'm not going to be able to catch a single walleye on that lake AGAIN this year!

4) Devils Lake- Fished it for the first time last winter. I was a pretty good trip except for the fact it was -20 the ENTIRE time we were there!

5) Any Lake With an ICELEADERS EVENT this year!! Too Much Fun! And any FM get together on the ice.

6) Horseshoe Chain- Since I recently got hooked on catfishing, this one I'm going to have to try this winter! I can't figure out why people would fish for walleye when catfish taste so much better wink.gif

7) Rainy Lake- Always wanted to try it throught the ice, It might happen this winter!

8) Follow fishable ice north into Canada sometime in April!! Not sure on a particular lake yet but its a long time until April.

1)NW Metro secret lake, better known as lake (x), for some fast and furious walleyes.

2)MilleLacs every Friday at 10:00 am till the ice goes out!

REMEMBER TO: CROSS THEIR EYES!

mille lacs perch jerking, it will be fabulous this year

big pine/ottertail eyes, there are more then enough of them up there. oh MJ I got two words for you SLAB CRAPPIES, deepwater and spring bobbers, cant beat it.

Spooner area northern pike, full contact tip ups.

Lake of the woods, everyone knows about.

Red Lake, yes the secret is out.

Big stone eyes, not just a good spring spot.

Buffalo Marble eyes, can beat the sunrising on a couple of eyes sitting on the ice!

Lake Sarah crappies, light the vex up like a christmas tree and the youner cousins love catching them,, cant beat there smiles!

Pokegama Sunfish and Crappies

Rush lake sunfish

Best Fishes
Chris

Chris,
I knew it was just a matter of time until you posted a reply grin.gif Full contact tip-up fishing...one of my favorite high school memories grin.gif

fubar,
We're gonna have to hit the ice again this winter...on a lake different than Bald Eagle grin.gif

DCON,
The Metro "gems", gotta like em!

hanson,
The ICE Series is going to be awesome this year! Always a fun time hanging out with fellow FMer's, and the fishing destinations are always topnotch.

Jarrod,
Waubay is a sweet lake! oh...Winni is good too grin.gif

Grebe,
I like your answer smile.gif

Here's another one...

12) Lake Superior, Minnesota/Wisconsin
A chance for a mixed bag. The smallmouth fishing can be excellent out there if you hit it right.
Chwsmallie2-161x223.jpg

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Matt
I moved to Princeton so it will be green lake and mille lacs smile.gif if you head up this way some time give me a shout !!!

[This message has been edited by fubar (edited 07-22-2004).]

I see alot of good places to go but the lake I will hit the most this year is horseshoe. From my home in Crystal it is an easy trip and until you catch a catfish through the ice it is hard to understand how fun it is. Besides catfish I did very well on walleyes out the as well. Adam

Oh yeah, can hardly wait, we got some shipments in today for ice fishing, woo hooo, first crack at it.
hey are you coming to the game where we go to a town named coon rapids and have a little bird beat down, coming this fall!
Best Fishes
Chris

Chris,
Drop me an e-mail and let me know when the game is and I'll try and make it. I sure hope Coach Wilkie brings it when they play the "birds", Coach Copple always brings the heat grin.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

First ice on LOW and then here and there. My mom just bought a place on cyclone lake in spooner, WI. I hear tales of slabs and pike, so I guess I will have to give it a try.

scott

Pete,
Some ice fishing geek took that pic grin.gif Yep, IceLeaders should be a good time again this year. We're gonna have to hit those smallies again smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

1. Upper red - Gotta get back on those slabs! grin.gif

2. Cass Lake - Lots of nice eyes and jumbo perch. Not a lot of pressure.

3. Mille Lacs - Forget the eyes! I'll be chasing jumbos and slabs! grin.gif

4. Gull Lake - Lots of eyes and various other fish to be caught. Good shot at a pig!

5. Horseshoe Chain - I really should get a few kitties though the ice. wink.gif

6. Various Unnamed St. Cloud Area lakes(some have names and other doesn't. But I'm keeping my mouth shut.

7. LOW - Would love to fit this one in if I can this winter. Time will tell.

Borch

MJ-
You might want copple to take note that we won the St Cloud State 7 on 7 Passing tournament on saturday! Beating Chromwell, Fergus Falls, Lakeville, Elk RIver, Annandale, Sauk Rapids and one other team I dont remember. Cant wait!
Best Fishes
Chris

URL-slabs
take a break on Splithand spearing
URL-slabs
Devils lake-perch and eyes
URL-slabs
back home to fish some nice private lakes
URL-slabs
Sometime in all this I plan to make it to the Bdub for some trout/pike, would be nice to get to rainy, someone mentioned cattin on horseshoe never doneit but waould like to.
Anyone in the know on cattin through the ice give me a hollar would be nice to meet w/someone who's done it b4

------------------
Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ