• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

D.I.Y. Building New Bunks For Your Boat Trailer. (With Pics)

Shack

I have been meaning to replace the bunks on my trailer for some time now. After my last trip out, I found out how urgent the replacement has become now. I maybe have one more load-up before major issues could occur and cause my not to load up.

So if I want to fish yet this fall, I will have to replace my bad bunk and why not just redo all of them. I am replacing my two long bottom runner bunks and my two side bunks. One of my side bunks also came loose early this year and the bracket that holds the bunk to the trailer up has become an obstacle if the side bunk moves away during loading (a sharp metal object sticking straight up). The cool part is I am going to upgrade my side bunks. I am making them a little longer and going from a 2.5"-3" tall to a 2"x6" tall. That should help with loading in large waves and get the boat on the trailer straight every time.

I would say this would cost of this project is around $60.00 or less. I have the wood, plus having pretty much all the tools, it is only going to cost me around $20.00 and my labor doing this.

OK, up to speed.

Items I am using for this project:

1) Qty 3 14' 2"x6" Treated Preserve ground contact boards (which I have). You could go shorter and save money if buying them, unless the length is needed

2) Flor Craft by Biotech Indoor and outdoor adhesive. Dries water tight and I am going to try and push only a quart for this project.

3) A cheap adhesive trowel, 1/8" notch.

4) Strips of indoor/outdoor carpet cut to size from Menards

5) 2" putty knife

6) Heavy duty staple gun.

7) Utility knife.

8) Blocks or any heavy items to spread the weight out even, while letting glue cure.

First I gathered all items needed for this project:

3485465068_7f9f34a335.jpg

Then I cut the needed lengths from boat trailer and cut to size:

3484650517_bfce3d617a.jpg

I started with the main two runner bunks. I sized up the carpet, to make sure things would fit together. Plus I let the carpet lay flat for a day or so, to get rid any curve that occurs when being rolled up at the store:

3485465138_df780426bd.jpg

I then applied the first round of glue, while following the instructions on the glue to a "T". I also wanted to make sure I stay straight with the grain of the carpet, so a 90 deg. fold would be easier:

3485465232_dd34b30ccf.jpg

Once the boards where flipped, I placed weights on the boards during the glue drying process:

3485464852_31b5f6169e.jpg

Then, I started in on the side bunks:

3485464948_c94f760d45.jpg

On the side bunks (for esthetic reasons) I am going to do a corner seam. This way I fill both sides of the board without a seam in the middle. The one side of the carpet makes contact with the boat and the other side you will while looking at the trailer. My seam will be on the bottom out side. I made some guide markings on the back side of carpet, to make sure placement was set proper (as seen in the image):

3485465408_65d31b8b83.jpg

At this point, I let the bunks sit for the proper amount of time needed for glue to cure. At least 48 hours, but I ended up letting them sit for over a week before I could get back on this project.

First thing I did when I came back to this project was to glue the sides of the boards to the carpet. Here are two images of this process. As you will see, I pre-bent the carpet before gluing to help with better surface connection. In the end, I felt it makes the final bend after gluing go easier.

3484650429_dfb4ea11f8.jpg

3484650733_8a251f819d.jpg

Now comes applying glue to the sides of the boards:

3485465202_809f8b8526.jpg

Here is a bunk folded up nice. I bent and folded each side on its own. Once the side was folded tight, I used a staple gun and applied ½” staples about every 4 inches or so down the sides. This helped hold the carpet in place. I would not recommend to put staples in on any area‘s that come in contact with the bottom of the boat. Scratching could occur.

3485465450_7ac4fcb115.jpg

After I was done, I put them back to back, on end and put the longest board I had on top. Then I put some blocks on them to help ensure contact will be made with the entire surface. In the morning, I will flip them over and let the other side get the entire concrete floor backing:

3485465370_64eb8443d0.jpg

I will finish the side bunks on Sunday. Then some finish trimming of the carpet will be needed and some more gluing.

Thanks smile

Finally found some time to start getting these bunks on. It went pretty slick:

3478224818_7aa6a9c691_o.jpg

Boattrailerbunkinstall2010.jpg

These are the rotten old one:

3477422665_b05aa57b6b_o.jpg

These are the new ones I made last fall. They are just sitting on their right now.

3477426733_a8c0177200_o.jpg

I have to pickup some new stainless lags tomorrow, do some blasting and then paint on Tues. Plus put some new lights on the trailer and fab up brackets for new location.

It will be nice to have the side bunks back on again and some what bigger for loading.

Well, been hitting it hard the last two nights. Almost to the end. grin

Started out with this:

3484519381_6ecbc34648_o.jpg

Now i am up to this:

3485334950_78d7bc5546_o.jpg

3485337616_c5f92d298e_o.jpg

Going to grind off the light mounts tomorrow and fab up some new brackets down lower, rewire and install new lights all the way around. I have to blast some more areas also and put the final coat of paint and clear on. Then I can lower the boat down on the trailer and adjust as needed. I think I am pretty close with the positioning of the bunks and middle rollers. I used an average of the existing positions the mounts where at and I think it will work out. I will adjust the side bunks when the boat is on the trailer.

I wished I had gone fishing tonight, but need to get this done to get back out on the river.

I see my images of making the bunks from last fall are not showing up. They are from an old hosting site, so I will update them soon. smile

Pinkfloyd you can use what ever you want grin

Thanks guys smile I figure this was the best way that I could put together, for long lasting bunks. Beets just wrapping 3 sides and using staples (IMO). wink

Just lowered the boat down and all went well. I like how it sits now on the trailer with the bunks adjusted right. Just going threw the boat, charging batteries, cleaning and organizing stuff now.

It will be nice to be back on the river in the next couple of days wink