• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

25-06 for Yotes?

I would like to get into this yote hunting. With out spending the $ of a smalled calliber gun. Anyone else using a Rem. 700 25-06 on the dogs? What would you suggest for a load? I am replacing the scope on it this year for a VX-II 4-12x40. I'm hopeing/thinking that 250 yards should be no poblem.

Anyother gear that is "a must have" for the new guy?

Thanks for your time and comments!

It will work fine, I load my cousin 87gr softpoints and 75gr v-max. It isn't the most fur friendly but if you want them dead that will do it. You should be able to shoot them alot farther than 250yds with your rifle. Good luck.

I have a 25-06 but can't get light loads to shoot good, but my coyote hunting buddy has a H&R 25-06 and it shoots light 75 grain v-max great. He payed under $300 for it. As far a fur damage it varys with shot place and distance. Most of the time damage isn't to bad, but we called a small male in last winter to about 15 yards and he shot it in the chest and it was messy.

That's the exact gun I have, down to the scope. It shoots extremely well with 80 gr, not sure what bullet it is as my uncle handloads 'em for me. I mostly shoot 115s since almost all i use it for is deer, but I've used it out in nebraska a little for prairie dogs, and it had no problem reaching out to 400 yards with that setup, being zeroed at 200.

Great! Suppose the true test is to just pony up and buy a couple different boxes of bullets and test them out out of MY gun. But, this gives me some ideas and a good starting point.

PEDER...gusse I'm going to buy some sticks too. Thanks!

So. Doug what bullet do you shoot then?

Ideas on a great call???

I would definately look at hornady ammo for sure. every gun I have shoots it very well.

Shooting sticks are great, just don't leave them in the car like I do once in a while......

the closed reed calls are the easiest to use and have called in many many coyotes over the years in many different situations. Open reed calls have probably called in just as many.

The circe calls are a good closed reed call, you can't go wrong with a tally ho for the open reed.

Get a video or two and watch how they are calling and what it sounds like. It is a great way to get started, at least that is how I got started.....

good luck