• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

is this sled going to work?

joshb

i just bought a sled strictly for ice fishing. polaris super sport 488cc. i know everyone says to get a long and wide track but this one was in my budget ($700). this should be a fine sled for most conditions right?.

Absolutely!!

Probably one of the best modifications you could make to your ice fishing sled would be to put a luggage rack on the back. I've got one going on my Arctic Cat this fall. There are also many times I wish it was studded when there isn't much snow on the lake.

I'll ditto everything Hanson said.

Studs do help when there is not a lot of snow but you must have a metal traction device sticker to run it on any trails.

A solid hitch or tow bar for whatever you are towing also helps quite a bit.

Be happy with your purchase! It will be a great machine.

Oh, duh... The hitch! Got to have a hitch and a rigid tow bar to pull the Otter sled.

I first started out pulling it with a rope because you got to start somewhere. Well, that didn't last too long!

thanks guys... a little reassurance goes a long way!. i do plan on putting a rack on the back, an auger holder in the front, a hitch for my otter and beefing up the suspension a bit. i think i'll throw a few studs in but maybe down the line a bit cuz i'll have to put a tunnel protector in to.

thanks again, joshb

I should mention that even though I said studs do help quite a bit I do not have them on my sled and I do get by. If I had the extra cash to put them in I would but I usually dump that right into the gas tank!

Stoneman,

I'm not exactly sure if anybody is making one. You might have to come up with something on your own. I know Dave Genz has carried his auger on the front of his sled. His looked like a custom made piece.

IPI makes gun racks for ATVS which might be adaptable. Ryans ATV Racks also makes a similar product. Ryans makes an auger rack too for ATVs.

Hmmmm... I sense a void in the market for a very useful product. Maybe I should start working on something.

One of the problems I could see is there would be no universal solution. All snowmobiles have different shaped front bumpers, hoods, bellypans, etc. Arctic Cats alone might require 4 different models of this auger rack for this year. Every other year, you'd have to redo the lineup of auger racks.

Anyway, just a thought...