• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What clothes do you wear ice fishing???

HighLife100

My dirty old pair of carharts. That way I can wipe the fish slime on them and not worry about it. That is, when I actually catch someting. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by sunnyj (edited 07-16-2004).]

I usually go for layers rather than the bulky, heavy overalls. Long johns, jeans, and nylon 'warm-up' type pants on the bottom half (good windbreaker); t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, and windbreaker (four layers) on the top half. That usually does the trick...if it is particularly cold out, I will wear my bibs though...

Layers is really the way to go, and less is more if your using a portable. I'm usually taking off a layer or two. If your sitting on a pail out in the elements a good snowmobile suit and a pair of pac boots is hard to beat. And always wear something with a hood.(sweatshirt,whatever)

T-shirt & Jeans! It gets so hot in my little Otter with the sunflower heater going you can't wear much more than that wink.gif

Seriously though, I think a good pair of quality bibs is the most important layer. You then can always throw a coat, vest, sweatshirt of whatever on as an outer layer after that.

ThinSulate two piece longies, brush pants, or Levis, wool shirt, insulated hoody, Carhartt bibs, a black insulated baseball jacket (With Co. logo, of course) and standard, felt lined pacs.

I fish outside as much as I can...holes freezing over bother me more then the cold.

I'm an active fisherman and I guess the movement keeps me warm?

I'am going to look into some of the newer, lighter, alternatives this year, although my present system has worked just fine for years..."If it is'nt broke, don't fix it!"
But you can tinker with it a bit!

I always wear a pair of sweat pants under my cabelas gore-tex bibs (cant beat the comfort). A light duofold turtleneck, then a medium weight polypropylene layer then a polar fleece pullover. All layers are light weight and if they have to be shed they pack tightly in my tackle bag. Keeps you dry and warm. I do alot of sticking and moving, so extreme warmth is not an issue.

I'll start from the bottom up.
Wool socks and bunny boots.
Polypropelene (sp) longjohns, insulated longjohns, jeans and insulated bibs.
T-shirt, polypropelene long sleeve, wool sweater, insulated coat.
Bunny fur bomber type hat, and face mask in coat pocket in case wind wants to freeze my nose.
Hands have standard chore gloves inside oversized leather mitts that are wool/sheepskin inside.
This might sound like over kill but I don't always wear them they are with me where ever I go though.
Had an incident when I went in ditch one night tried to walk to a freinds house nearby. Well I woke up at his neighbors in the ditch by thier drive way, covered by about 8-10" of snow. Comfortable with my toes being a little bit cold not bad though. This was not a warm snow, it ended being -24 that night w/20mph winds. Snow was actually drifted over me and pretty hard.
Oh I had a wool scarf wrapped around my neck and face too.

------------------
Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

He Grebe,
for keeping the hole clear i real cold days, try putting charcaol in a coffee can along side your hole, eventually it will melt ito the side and create continious warm water over your hole. I saw this at a ice fishing contest and tried it. it works great, just don't run out of charcoal and it cools down quickly for the next trip out too

Fishingrookie...Thanks for the tip, but I would probably wind up burning the line on the can and then have to spend the next half hour trying to put on a new bobber stop and hook, with my eyes watering, nose running, and banana fingers!

I whine a little, but I always get through it.

One or all depending on the temp and if I'm inside or outside; using the truck or snowmobile.

Upper - T-shirt - sweatshirt - hooded Polartech fleece zippered jacket - Polartech fleece vest - gore-tex parka with Polartech lining - gore-tex and Polartech floppy ear hat. Mountain Man gore-tex gloves with removable linings.

Lower - Polartech fleece pants - gore-tex outer shell or lined snowmobile bibs - thin wool socks - Rockey Ice Buster pac boots.

This stuff is bullet proof, drys quickly if wet, prevents you from getting wet, lightweight, and wears like iron.

For the top I start out with a T-shirt, silk long underwear top, sweatshirt with a big ole' orange camo hunting coat. For the bottom, silk long underwear and a pair of Russels. And for the boots, you just can't beat military bunny boots.