• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do I keep my lab from following me when the grass gets thick?

ZEEK1223

When he is hot on a bird, he will go through a brick wall. But when there is no scent around, he seems to want to follow the trail that I make in the thick stuff. He works just fine while the grass is manageable. But I want him to work even through the thick stuff.....any advice?

I can think of a few reasons why.

Hes tired. Take a water break.

Your moving too fast. If your in front your in the wrong place. Give him time to work, often times in the thick cattails I'm standing still while the dog is working.

I then move toward the direction the dog is working and stay out of his way.

Hes just taking the easy way. That could be from too fast a pace in the past and hunting trails.

So how do your get it into his head you want him to hunt?

Since he was a pup you use a command when you let him out the door or kennel. That command is used when he gets his time to do what a dog does when not under your close control but not to be confused with out of your control. Which IMO a dog should be at some level of your control at all times unless kenneled or crated.

Same command you use when you enter a field and start the days hunt when hes hot to go. All that what seems meaningless becomes an association from repetition.