• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03 chev 1/2 ton 5.3 steering shaft

i have a rattle in the steering all joints are tight so im assuming its the intermidate shaft. do i need to worry about the srs coil when i pull it apart to change the shaft. i am not sure about the air bag system. it looks like i need to drop the column to remove the shaft.

Just had my 06' Silverado in for the same thing! I wasn't impressed seeings how my truck only has 26,000 miles on it! All in all this one has been kind of a lemon all around! It's the 7th Silverado I have owned and it's turning out to be the worst one from a quality standpoint! Good Luck with your repair!

do i need to worry about the srs coil when i pull it apart to change the shaft.

In a word Yes! "Clocking" is very important to air bag operation.

Its always a good idea to secure the steering wheel so it cannot turn when disconnected. Its also not a bad idea to mark them with tape to keep it lined up correctly and if you want to be real safe disconnect the battery.

As far as I understand it the intermediate steering shaft issue did not have a recall. They've changed their tune on what the "fix" is over the years, but it's always been a warranty fix or you pay for it if it's out of warranty.

I am bringing my 2004 GMC in for the second time for this problem. It was fixed under warranty last time and they said they will cover the cost this time if it is the same problem. I'll know more by Wednesday night, but I bet they find something just a little bit off from last time and will not cover the cost......time for that extened warranty to kick in.