• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake of the Woods

Ole1855

Hi everyone,

I'm just sitting here at my desk thinking it's about time to schedule my trip to LOW this winter. I know we're not suppose to be advertizing for any resorts but do any of you have a favorite you go to? The only one I've stayed at is Borderview, it's a real nice place with good service, I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Ole

------------------
Olson Insurance Agency
[email protected]
952-224-4774

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 07-13-2004).]

We do a first ice trip to the Angle. This is self guided, using portables and 4 wheelers.

Two years ago, the fishing was fantastic. Last year was pretty good, but if you were not on some kind of sand or gravel to mud transistion zone, fishing was tough.

I like the south side, but find I prefer the less crowded Angle.

I stay at Adriann's every winter. The people there are very nice and they go out of their way to make sure you have a great time. Everything is close by and a very friendly atmosphere. And plus, the fishing is always good smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

My cousin went up to Lake of the Woods last winter early on and had great luck catching and spearing pike. Most of the fish were in the 40" range! Do any of you guys out there know if the pike on LOW are always this big and active right after ice-up? I think I want to give it a try this year and catch one over 40".

------------------

<*))CPR))><{

Leech21-

Not all the Pike on LOW are that big but there are quite a few that are! Not sure about how well they are biting during first ice, but they can be dynamite at times during very late ice.

We didn't catch many last spring for whatever reason but you'll typically get quite a few in the mid to upper 30" range with an occassional Pike going over 40". We catch them in as shallow as 18"-24" of water, under the ice! Sometimes less than that.

There is a protected slot on LOW from 30-40" meaning all Pike caught that are 30"-40" need to be released immediately. There is no doubt in my mind that this is contributing to the number of larger fish being caught. Last spring, there were plenty of fisherman chasing after these Pike. When they get that big, please practice CPR to protect them!

Here are a couple caught during the last couple years. I've posted these pictures before, which, I guess means I need to go out and catch some more and take new photos wink.gif

47b4da35b3127ccebced6bd84ed40000001610

47b4da35b3127ccebced68668fc30000001610

[This message has been edited by hanson (edited 07-21-2004).]

The early ice pike fishing on LOW can be excellent. A lot of 40 inch fish are caught during early ice. A lot of people just follow the ice out as it forms, and some years it seems like the fish do the same. Those pike will relate to several different bottom types during early ice, both weeds and rock. Large inside turns off shallow bays can be some of the best areas, assuming you still have some weeds. Often times the first break will hold a good number of big cruisers as well. I like to jig for early ice pike with large jigging spoons tipped with a minnow, or else a Flyer with a piece of cutbait. Smelt smell good grin.gif These early ice pike are hungry and are in a constant feeding mode, devouring whatever is in their path, so I just try to draw them in by making as much noise, vibration and appearance as possible. A pike will come and investigate if it can see what you have to offer. Once the ice gets thick, the temps drop, and oxygen diminishes, than I start breaking out the tip-ups and fish with deadbait for those roaming pike.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I've stayed at Adrian's too and really think they are Nice people. You should see the lady's fillet fish. They are what you call fast! You can fish straight out from them or you can take the snowmobile trail north and find different reefs to fish. Bruce Mosher

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

Here's a 29 inch walleye from when I stayed at Adrian's Resort last winter, it was caught on an Ice Buster Bobber and a plain hook tipped with one of Adrian's famous emerald shiners...

LOWwalleye-147x195.jpg

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 07-22-2004).]