• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy or Strikemaster: Ford or Chevy?

MercMan

I'm going to purchase a new auger this fall. I'm tired of struggling with other people's dull, underpowered augers when trying to cut through 4 feet of ice in northern MN. I'm going to purchase the biggest and baddest that I can afford. What is the best ice auger out there? I've heard good things about both Strikemaster and Jiffy (and Eskimo for that matter). I'd just like to get some fellow FM'er opinions. thanks.

i would definately go with the strikemaster. both are good augers but a couple of my buddies have jiffy's and they are heavy and VERY cold blooded. another friend has a strikemaster that starts right away which is interesting because i think they both use tecumseh engines

I'd rather push a Strikemaster than drive a Jiffy! Sorry, couldn't resist. smile.gif My dad has a 20 year old Jiffy that starts better than my Strikemaster that I won in January. My Strikemaster sure is light, though.

If you REALLY want the biggest and badest ice auger out there...I'd get ahold of Tim Taylor (TOOL TIME). It wouldn't matter what brand cause he is sure to "tweek" it, and give it MORE power!. Maybe he can rig something up to the rear differential of your truck, then put a K&N air filter, B&M blower, and add a Nitrous kit. That outta dig a hole through anything. But then we might be back to.."Ford or Chevy". Just messing with ya, but can you imagine an ice auger built by him? HA HA! Too bad that show isn't on anymore, kinda miss Jill & Heidi!

I have a StrikeMaster, my son has a Jiffy, my suits me just fine, is lighter then his, but nowhere near as powerfull.

I think he has about an 18 horse Chockatussee engine on it? Nah, it's got more cc's, or Hp's, or something, cause it can really chow down on that ice, even with a good sized auger on it, but like i said, it weighs a ton!

Is'nt there a couple of other brands out there also, Eskimo for one?

Guess its never too early to start the auger debate so I'll jump in.

Strikemaster all the way for me!! I've got an 8" Lazer w/ the 2hp Tecumseh, bought it a couple years ago. Never had a problem starting the auger when its cold. You do have to let it warm up for 30 seconds to a minute or it'll stall on you when you try to cut. Once its running, its good to go. 4' of ice on Lake of the Woods is no problem. You can cut holes all day without the auger beating you up. Anybody that has ever used my auger or watched me cut with it is amazed at how quick it'll go through the ice.

Jiffy- my dad runs a Jiffy Model 30. It was my grandpa's auger. No doubt Jiffy can build an auger that will last awhile. Routine maintenance and they'll last awhile. Only complaint about his auger is it has the single chipper blade. It takes awhile to get through the ice. Its also a heavy sucker. But, you have to love the Jiffy pop, pop, pop... whaaaaaaaaa pop, pop, pop!

Eskimo- I think you'll hear a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about Eskimo!

From the "for what it's worth" dept. Up here on LOTW the Jiffy augers out number the other brands combined by at least a 3 to 1 ratio among the resort guides. These guys cut thounsands of holes every season. The Jiffys do weigh a little more but that is probably why they hold up so well. Good luck. Ol'Sneller

I have had a Jiffy for many yrs(8+),bought a new lazer mag 2yrs ago.Noe the Jiffy only comes off the rack if a buddy needs to borrow an auger.I can't even remember the last time I took it out to use myself.The lazer is about 20lbs lighter and cuts 2x's faster.

------------------
Greg

Wow...auger talk in July. It's making me ancy for ice. Anyway, I have a Strikemaster Lazer Mag 2 HP, and it has served me very well for about 6 years now. The above posts pretty much hit on the difference...the Strikemasters are a bit lighter and tend to cut a bit faster, but the Jiffy's tend to be a bit more durable. Probably depends on whether or not you want red or yellow...

The Eskimo Augers are kind of interesting, but I am not too familiar with them...

One thing that came up in discussions last year on this topic (and you can do a search of the 'equipment' forum and find some more info) was that the 3 HP motors seemed to have more problems and less reliability than the 2 HP motors. Just some food for thought...

Aother vote for the Strikemaster Lazer!I've owned them since I started ice fishing and have had excellent luck with them!Light,cut fast,they have a see through gas tank on the new ones also(a great feature!)And as pointed out earlier you can drill all day with them, carry them around,and your not tired as He@% when your done!They also start very easily to!

Depending on your method of fishing, weight can sure be a concern. I have the 3hp Jiffy Stealth and I love it. I am however a fairly young man and don't mind packing the extra weight. Yes it is cold blooded. Once it warms up it flies thru the ice. Keep in mind this is the stealth and not the model 30. They have very diffenent cutting systems.

I had a chance to see those eskimo sharks in use last season and I was very impressed! Not cold blooded and cut just as well. I believe they are much cheaper than my stealth as well. When my Jiffy finally goes down in about another 40yrs I will definitely give that shark a hard look.

The biggest complaint I've heard about the strike master is the cheap plastic handles that seem to break from time to time.

For the most part, you hit it right on the head with Ford vs. Chevy aspect. Of the Jiffy, Strikemaster and Eskimo they are all top notch. Take a hard look at all of them and pick the one that best suits your needs. See what is available for extensions and how much they cost as well.

Good Luck

A couple more points supporting my endorsement of the Eskimo Shark:
- The only auger that DOES NOT use a tecumseh motor. The eskimo shark has a chain saw type motor that runs at almost twice the RPM's of any strikemaster or Jiffy. (how often do chainsaw motors wear out ??)
-It has a priming bulb on the carb, so no matter how cold it is outside you give the bulb a couple little pumps and it starts on the first or second pull EVERY TIME
-You can set it down immediately after starting and IT WILL IDLE and continue to run until its' out of gas.
-You can set it down on any of its 4 sides and it will stand up and not fall over or leak gas, and the handles are all metal, not plastic.
-Did I mention that the gas tank has a gas cap that breathes and DOES NOT LEAK.
-Ardisan, the manufacturer in Wisconsin stands behind everything they sell and will take care of their customers even after the sale. I had a great experience with them providing a new canvas cover at no cost for my eskimo portable.
-It pulls itself through 48" of ice so fast, you better pull it up and clear the bit a couple times before you go through grin.gif
-Weighs about the same as my old strikemaster 2hp.

I've used them all, and I'll keep this Shark forever...just like my Stihl chainsaw and Johnson 9.9hp OB

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 07-14-2004).]

I will back up everything Twitter just said! The Eskimo Shark is the way to go. It is by far the best auger I have ever used and theres so many advantages to it! grin.gif

Now if your all bent on getting a Jiffy or a Strikemaster, id go with a Strikemaster. Get the 3-blade (Ultra) auger and u will not be disappointed with it. The motor on the other hand is something to be careful with. I also have a 9" Ultra that I got before the Eskimo Shark. I have broke the "New style" handle on it 3 times already, the gas cap leaks, it can be hard to start and keep running sometimes and in some bad ice the motor struggles to keep up with the auger.
So sometimes I cheat and mix it up. Since the 3-blade auger cuts so good (like a hot knife going through butter) and the Eskimo Shark is such a good engine with more power; I put them 2 things together. And WOW, The best auger set-up I have yet to try out yet.

PS (go with the Shark wink.gif ) tongue.gif

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!