• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moose?

I know last year there were a few of us on FM that were lucky enough to be involved with the MN moose hunt. Now that the opener has come and gone, I was looking forward to hear some chatter about this year's hunt and maybe see some pictures. It was one year ago yesterday that I was fortunate enough to get mine and there were a few people on here that gave me tips on how to go about it. No FM people this year?

I was a grunt for a friend that helped me with the work 2 years ago. 2 years ago he helped me and my partner so this year was payback. I was able to provide my service for Saturday and Sunday until noon. 2 years ago my partner shot the moose and I did not get to experience the hunt except on video. Saturday this year we had a cow calling in the morning and a bull grunting. We got closer and tried to call the bull. From the sound of the grunting I would estimate he came to 60-80 yards but did not show himself. On Sunday we set up near the same spot and the hunter cow called. About 8:20 a 42" bull came to the call that was dispatched with the Ruger 375 and dropped in his tracks. It was neat to see the bull come to the call. I was not able to leave until 2:30 until the work was done but it was worth it. Sorry I do not have any of the pictures yet.

My group got drawn for this season. There are 3 of us and so far we have had a blast. In a nut shell, we went up for 4 days in August and 2 days in september for scouting. We never saw a moose but we did find adequate tracks, dropping, beds, etc.

We hunted the first 3 days of the season and almost scored a bull. We only saw 1 moose, it was a yearling with very small paddles. Had it a 45 yds but was unable to get the clean shot we were looking for. We repositioned but never saw it again.

We also had a bull responding to our cow calls very aggresively, but he never showed face in the clear cut.

Overall, we had a blast, moose hunting is difficult and you must be patient. We still have 6 days to hunt next week. Hopefully, we score. I will post pictures and all the stories once it is done for those interested.

Other tidbits, we did see a massive bull on a trailor in grand marais. Also, as of monday, bucks hardware in grand marais had registered 13 moose.

What does a guy have to do to get a license. I've been applying for over 15 yrs. Do you tape a $100 bill to the app. when you submit those or what. Good luck on the hunt, and hopefull we get to see some photos.

Here are the pictures CFD200.

I am in the one in the orange vest. I have to thank Greg, my Dad (both pictured) for helping me out. And my wife for helping me scout.

Greg I would say I owe you, but you would never let me live that down.

(first time posting and with pictures, hope it works)

Picture014.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Congrats guys! Moose hunting is my favorite...wish we all could do that every year. Thanks for sharing!

Hey 89Bronco! I lost your email when our hard drive died on us so therefore we lost all our contacts on our email list. Otherwise I woulda stayed in touch. But anyway you get all that meat devoured from last year? Sounds like that there is a few moose being taken in MN. But like you mentioned no FMers. Anyways all is well up here same old same old. Take care. keep them pictures coming of them moose. Big or small. Good luck Benell_dude

Good to hear from you b.dude! We still have a little left. We've had roasts, burgers, jerky, sandwiches, moose tacos and burritos...you name it. And mine was "small." It's all good though. No gamey taste like veni. It's fun to hear about others' stories and see their pictures, too. I know what it feels like...it's a blast!

Here's a pic from 2007. The moose and the tools of the trade.

1548041374_3896f238be.jpg

My uncle has been telling us about his hunting in Alaska. He gets to hunt every year, but they have to be in that 50"-plus range or 3 browtines on one side. He has seen plenty of moose, but none big enough. He has also seen 7 black bear, which is exactly 7 more than I saw this year!

Now I get to wait for my brother or a couple of others in our deer hunting party to draw a tag, and I get to start the waiting game to draw an elk tag. Maybe this winter I'll see you up in Baudette when we're ice-fishing on LOW.