• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High moon at primetime??

Good day all. I was reading the October issue of North American Whitetail this weekend and read an article by a guy in Ohio who has shot 3 200" bucks. Anywho, he said something about the moon "being high at primetime" on certain days. He says he often only gets sightings of the big boys in daylight during this time. What is he talking about exactly? Anyone know or have an idea? Anyone else read the article? Your thoughts? Thanks.

I think that when you have a high full moon the deer will be more active through out the night, will bed down for a while and will get up and move around late morning to early afternoon again. I don't know that this is any different than any other time but people will write what they think will sell.

My understanding of this 'theory' is that when there is a full moon at night, the big boys stay up all night feeding and chasing and don't feel the need to get up and about during hunting hours.

However, when the moon is not providing light at night, then the deer movement around the evenings and mornings (i.e. hunting hours) increases.

Just my understanding, for what it's worth.

I would like respectfully disagree with Murray and his moon guide. I don't let the moon dictate any way I hunt. I think that deer base their activity on temperature, weather, pressure/disturbance, and the lengthening or shortening of daylight. Deer are nocturnal by nature and peak visible activity by the hunter will typically occur closer to night. An exceptional period of severely increased daytime activity is of course pre rut and rut. During the chase phase the bucks will be looking for does and on their vulnerable feet and active at any and every moment. They won't look at the moon and decide to take their union break once the sun is over the trees. Same with breeding. If a doe will stand he will mount. The crescent moon won't influence him to go see the vikes game instead. I guess I'm just bitter about too many people blaming their inability to harvest a mature buck on nonsensical stuff like the moon. There's just too many other more important factors.