• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10" or 14" Jakes for trolling Skies up on LOW in October?

I'm very inexperienced, but have been trying to troll for Skies the last few years up on both Monument Bay and Sabaskong Bay. We have landed a couple on one successful trip and none on two subsequent trips (although our cabin neighbors from WI caught like 6 of them on Monument Bay!). I'm looking to buy some more Jake's and I notice a big price difference between the 10" and the 14" Jakes ($15 versus $30). Since I was thinking of buying 4 of them, are the 14" worth the extra $60?

Thanks and any advice is much appreciated.

Hiya -

To me, the 10-inchers are a lot more versatile - wider speed range, and seem to work better under a wider range of conditions. When there are several of us in the boat up there and we have 4 lines out, someone will usually run a 14-incher short over the middle, and it gets fish from time to time, although the main reason to run it is it gets to the right depth on a short line. It certainly doesn't seem to select for bigger fish - just as many 40 inchers hit it as hit the 10-inchers overall in terms of percentages.

If you're looking to expand your lure options, I'd branch out in other directions first - 8" and 10" Believers, Triple-Ds, or Big Daddys - for example, before I went with the big baits. But that's just me.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Another lure make to consider are the Storm Giant Thundersticks, lots of muskies are caught by walleye trollers in the Fall going shallow, this is a bigger option. Shallow running, but at around $12 they are another option to try.

Thanks Everyone! I do fish with a 10" Believer and we've caught some nice Northerns on it, but no Muskies yet, go figure. Anyhow, I'm sticking with the 10" Jakes! In case your curious, we'll be back from our trip after the 26th and I'll send an updated to this post, hopefully with pics of monsters! Thanks again!