• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deer hunting with shotgun?

PmDavis300

Well that said. Yes you can take a deer with a 20 gauge with 2 3/4 inch slugs. I would limit your shots to 70 yards or less just becasue if you are not shooting a slug barrel I personally feel shot placement would suffer. My Brother shoots a 20 gauge Rem 870 with rifled slug barrel and 3 inch slugs and he has taken alot of deer with it. So no there should not be a problem. It all depends on the set up and how far you plan to shoot.

Froggy

It will sure kill them, but accuracy is a concern, like Froggy said. If you have practiced out to 70 yds and can put every shot into the 4 or 5 inch group then under ideal circumstances it is do able, but if that deer is walking or running or obscured by brush, don't push it.

I shot 5 deer with my 20ga and 2 3/4" slugs, only one ran more than a few feet, and she only made it about 50 yds....

A 20 ga is plenty to take down a deer. No problem.

Accuracy is great too, with practice.

My father loves to deer hunt, but with age his arms get sore carrying a 12 ga...so he switched to a 20 ga (no rifle zone). He is an excellent shot and has killed deer over 100 yards with his 20 ga many times. Of course, it is best to let them get closer....

Check with the range 1st but most ranges are ok with slugs. Bill's gun ranges North is close to you and they allow you to shoot slugs. Most rifled slugs recommends IC or C chokes. As you may already know, grabs a couple of boxes or a few different brands slugs and see which slugs your gun likes best. When i shot smooth bore with a C choke. I found Brennekee KO slugs worked great or Federal Truballs.

Each gun shoots slugs differently. You may want to try 3 or 4 different kinds and see which is best for your gun. Shoot them from a bench rest with the gun on sand bags so you get a true picture of which works best.