• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Headlamps

MinnesnowtaWild

Hey guys, I bought a headlamp from Gander Mountain a couple months back and I have to say I am not satisfied with it at all. I was on a budget and didn't want to spend much over $20 and couldn't really afford an LED headlamp. I was a bit skeptical of them as well, and wasn't sure which would be better (LED or regular bulb).

The one I ended up buying is complete junk. The battery life is only one nights worth of fishing (average about 5 hours but only have light on maybe half that). I would have to change the 2 AA's every night, and just stopped using it completely.

Here is a picture of the one I own:

fish3.jpg

So I ask you guys, which headlamps have you liked best. I see everyone using LED lights at night while fishing, and they always seem so bright. My buddy has a flashlight with LED's and it's much brighter than my regular bulb flashlight and he never has to change batteries it seems. I'm definitely gunna go with LED's next time.

Go to Walmart. Energizer headlamp with white LEDs, red LED, and a regualr bulb. It's $10-$12. Best bang for your buck. Lots of cat guys use this same lamp.

This isn't exactly the one I have, but it's close. I'll bet they have discontinued the one I have--it's a few years old.

HD5L330DE-LPENR.jpg

Quote:
Go to Walmart. Energizer headlamp with white LEDs

There was (I bought and still use) a $9.95 one with a three position switch. Off in the middle, red to the right and white to the left. I hate those ones you have to click 6-10 times to get the desired light you want. I always miss the one and have start over. White LED is bright, the unit is not bulky and never uses batteries.

Plus it has the single wrap around (headband) type elastic strap. Not the tri-strap. That always felt like I was putting a pair of woman’s panties on my head with the middle strap running back over my head.

I wouldn’t know anything about putting certain garments on my head, I guess some guys do whistle

Anyways, I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.

Instead of buying one $30 or $40 headlamp, buy 3 or 4 of the $9.99 Energizers at Walmart. Not only are they a great deal, they even come with Energizer batteries. Do the math, the headlamp is darn near free. Not only that but they work great. I would much rather have a couple extras that might not be as bright than one bright one that I cannot find.

Like Shack, I would also suggest staying away from the 6 position lamp or any lamp that you have to cycle through a bunch of clicks to turn them off. Simple on/off works best.

Quote:
I wouldn’t know anything about putting certain garments on my head, I guess some guys do

What can I say, I had one heck of a wild bachelor party grin.

Dtro is right one about the batteries also. Good tip.

The other thing I have noticed with the higher dollar headlamps is after a couple hard drops or a miss install of the battery cover, the battery cover start to fall off all the time. My $9.95 one has never done this.

I am with Shack and Dtro on this. I have the same headlamp and it works great. Excellent battery life and plenty bright for most tasks. If you do drop it in the river, break it, lose it, whatever it is 10 bucks for a replacement.

I don't think they offer that slide to the right for white light and slide to left for red light model anymore. Last time I was looking at w-mart they just had the push button cycle through a bunch of settings model.

There's usually a trade off between batter life and light brightness. In general the units that uses three or four AA batteries will outperform the units that uses two or three AAA batteries.

For me it's a hit or miss with energizers. I've gotten two Walmart $10 head lamps go kaputz after one use. To me, that's a complete waste - time and money. My outdated Cyclops of 10 years with the krypton and three led combo still works better - but not so good on battery life - too bad lens is all scratched up. My energizer flashlights - the hardcase ones - almost indestructable. Been using the K2 luxeon 4D one and it's seen over 50 hrs of use.

Now if they only make a hardcase Energizer head lamp, but it's the separate battery compartment

The info and data for the other hard case flashlights doesn't appear impressive at all. I guess I'll stick with the Browning, Princeton, and Cyclops head lamps. They may cost more, but...that's the trade off.

Go to Walmart. Energizer headlamp with white LEDs, red LED, and a regualr bulb. It's $10-$12. Best bang for your buck. Lots of cat guys use this same lamp.

This isn't exactly the one I have, but it's close. I'll bet they have discontinued the one I have--it's a few years old.

HD5L330DE-LPENR.jpg

I like this style a lot. I definitely want some red LED's for walking through the woods, and one dim light just so people don't stumble on us in the dark. I will have to hit up WalMart for this one I think. Thanks for the input guys.

I have three different headlights, one is "el cheapo" from wal fart, it has three settings, one white LED, nine white LEDs, and two red LEDs. Another is a browning I think that has two settings, two white LEDs and one red LED. The third and most reliable one I have is a Guide series from Gander, it has three settings as well, one white LED, three white LEDs, and one Xenon spot light. The last one from gander was the most expensive, but in my opinion the best one. It will however go through the batteries as well if you use the Xenon spotlight too much.

I came here thinking I would break new ground and recommend an Energizer headlamp, but I am just helping beat the horse to death. I have a couple of these things. My first one I used for an entire year...Ice fishing, catfish excursions, walking to deer stand, getting the duck blind set up, camping...never used up the battery.

I love those things.

The other cheapo I had good luck with was Brinkman brand. I may try and get another Brinkman as the one I had is traveling down the thalweg of the Minnesota River hellbent on the Mississippi and Gulf of Mexico after springing from the excited lap of an FM staffer that saw his rodtip twitch during one enjoyable starlit summer night chasing kitties. laugh It was the only bummer on an otherwise very fun night. It also belabors the point that it is better to go cheap on these things since the technology has come so far and you're one slip up away from losing them. Besides, aren't catmen supposed to be frugal? You know, drink cheap beer, catch their own bait, pour their own weights, etc.? grin

While we are on the subject of lighting, what do you guys recommend for a regular flashlight? I bought a $10 incandescent flashlight that is nice because it is rubberized and is water proof. The problem is it takes 2 "D" batteries and it's not bright enough to justify buying D batteries. The battery life is poor as well. My friend has a LED flashlight that lasts forever it seems, while I have to change my batteries almost every night. Plus, his is just as bright if not brighter.

So, as you can see I am now a believer in LED flashlights. I have always been skeptical and preferred them the way the always were, but LED's seem so much more efficient. I would like to spend no more than $20 on a flashlight, since I will be buying that Energizer headlamp tomorrow.

My girlfriend has a 2 million candlepower Black and Decker spot light which is really nice to have when landing a fish, but it is just too big and is hard to carry to our spots so we don't use it anymore but it is a great spotlight for those curious. Very well made with decent battery life.

I use a mini mag led for work all the time, I wouldn't go back to a normal style, it's brighter and I'm sure the batteries last longer. The only draw back is there is no dim when the batteries go it either works or it doesn't. I also use a led head lamp 3 bulb on high 1 bulb on low and a disco flasher. I used it the last half of last year and didn't have to change the batteries until the july of this season just the little 3022 button batteries.

I have a little 3" long x 1" OD billet aluminum 4 led type flash light that I keep in my tackle box. I maybe used it once this year. I always just use my headlamp in my hand as a flash light. Like da_chise31 brought up, things are lost to the river in a boat and flash lights in the past have fallen victim. I lost a rather nice 4 C Maglight to the river Gods grin Never again.

I checked last night and I have about 4 headlamps from over the years. A couple are those old style little round LED flash lights that clipped to the base on the 3 strap head monstrosity thing bob. That never worked, because the flash light would fall off all the time. I do have one Brinkman. It is a nice light and I think ran around $20-$25 about 6-7 years ago. The light swivels and it has the three way switch and I have the Energizer.

I have had the Energizer for about 2 years now and I changed the batteries last spring. They still worked, but I did not want to get caught out on a trip with a headlamp with dead batteries. Plus, as great as it works, I can not bring my self to spend $40-$60 headlamp, when the $9.95 one has been great and never yet failed. I have a good track record of not dropping them in the river, but like said a $9.95 hit (if and when it happens) would much better than a $40-$60 hit. Now, for hunting mayabe.

Nah I have plenty of Cattin left in me. Just gotta dress warm!

That's the spirit, give em heck.

I might get out there as well a time or two yet after Sturgeon season is over.

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
Nah I have plenty of Cattin left in me. Just gotta dress warm!

That's the spirit, give em heck.

I might get out there as well a time or two yet after Sturgeon season is over.

I got rained out yesterday morning. I'll fish the sprinkle, but it came hard all morning. I know them cats are snappin down here too. I just need to get out.

I went to Wal Mart today and bought the $15 Energizer headlamp and then went out tonight fishing to test it out. I definitely am in love with it. I ran out of glow sticks for my rod so I just left the red LED's on the whole time to watch my rod.

I've got one from REI.. I don't know how expensive it is since it was a gift. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a $30 pr $40 lamp though, I know REI can be pricey.

However, I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's super bright petzl "tikka plus" with 4 white LEDs

After using a crappy incandescent for a while, I've gotta say I'll never go back.