• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

weekend ride

nine-tiner

Went to Red Top with friends on Saturday. It was nice to see lots of other riders out. It wasn't nice to see that even after all the negative publicity lately that people contiune to ingore barricades and enter areas they shouldn't. We were on the "adventure trail" and could see a group ahead of us a little ways and when we came by several locations that were barricaded we could tell someone had just got out because the water/mud was freshly disturbed. Well we eventually caught up to the group just as one of the riders was pulling out of a barricaded area. I stopped and was going to mention something to him but noticed that he had a pistol holster on his hip. I just shook my head and continued riding, I wasn't about to confront someone carrying a gun. I can't understand why someone would feel the need to carry a pistol while out wheeling...other than intimidation of other riders. (attack of the mighty squirrel) He was in a group of 6-8 riders so I doubt that he was small game hunting, and if he was he was breaking the law because he wasn't wearing blaze orange.

what would have you done???

Would not have confronted him. Maybe be coy and stop and make small talk...all the while getting as much info as possible (make, model, registration # etc.) and make a call as soon as you got out off the trail. Describe as much about the group as possible and hope they get caught.

I agree with titelines. Stop and make small talk, all the while getting as much info as possible. This guy IMO was illegal as all get out. I don't believe a holster is considered a legal case therefore, carrying an uncased firearm on a motorized vehicle.

It's losers like this that have no business owning an ATV, let alone a gun.

Consider this fellas , he possibly had a Minn Carry permit, in which case to have a pistol in a holster is perfectly legal , although not in good taste. It would have been more acceptable to have it concealed .

Actually , the Minn "Carry permit" is just that. Legally the gun does not have to be concealed, some states require the pistol to be concealed , Minn does not . This is a fact as I have just completed the class and have the book in front of me . The instructor we had recomended the weapon be concealed as not to draw attention to you , and if it is visible , the local badges will visit you.

I disagree.

ATV riders have gotten more than enough bad publicity lately. Now we some someone out on the trails toting a piece on their hip. Absolutely not cool. The only exception would be if this person was a CO or Sheriffs Deputy out patrolling the trails.

IMO, if you don't have a badge to go with the sidearm, keep it concealed.

That's all we need....ATV gangs! LOL....... Drive-by 4x4in' on the sinkhole road. "We should take him down, but that machine is so cool lookin' driving through the mud"

"Aww, I guess it's a Cat....shoot that cat before it sinks and drowns itself" laugh

Guns are for hunting and protection. If you are the renegade with the group of outlaws, you don't deserve the right to carry. Tell me, what was this guys purpose for carrying a gun on the trail? What possible good reason could he come up with?

If he was in a barricaded area, that's a no-no. But that may be the only thing here to get worked up about. I know guys who have a carry permit that never take the gun off their side. It wouldn't be for me but if that's the way they want to go it's well within their rights. My father-in-law got the permit for the sole purpose of bear baiting. This way he can travel on his wheeler to and from his bait stations and feel safe. I wouldn't worry about the gun, worry about this guy's riding ethics.

But not for a pleasure ride. Not to mention there's only approximately 265K registered ATV's in MN and maybe another 20K unregistered.

But all kidding aside, I meant that someone has to be out of their mind to take a gun, basically uncased, out on the trails to get dirty. Gunk up the action, and Barney Fife will be lucky if the firing pin moves.

HH-

exactly what I was thinking, its also a great deterent for anyone else to "address a problem" when the person carrying the gun is the problem. Not to many people will confront someone with a gun. I did once years ago stepping between a woman and her ex and consider myself lucky to be alive.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I should have got off my wheeler and taken a license number and maybe a cell phone pic..but I didn't, I just hope that if by chance he visits this HSOforum he will see the negative responses to carrying on the trail and not do it again.

It is just a shame that most riders out there are respectfull and follow the trails and whatnot.

But, one guys breaks them and everyone sees the evidence (tracks, damage, etc.), and ALL the riders are bad. People forget that the 60 previous people riding on the trail followed the rules.

I an into this as I do have land and I have let some 4-wheelers run on it. But, stopped as ONE person went in a did a lot of damage. I got frustrated, and just cut everyone off. May or may not be right, but that person really ticked me off.