• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Fall Foliage Thread For Grouse Hunting

I figure a thread about how things are going in the woods around the state would be good for others planning and trying to get out grouse hunting. If you have a report, post away.

It is still pretty thick around the Princeton area. I took these today:

TK8unIkuzZdItZimsGwzBKOKr79ZgD0q0300.jpg

lNqDk9U4p+MKC9zGZUU0hP8LKl9ve5ew0300.jpg

Lets hope for no rain and cold temps to get some of these leaves to drop and ground weeds to die. Plus also kill off those deer ticks grin

Thanks.

Ya, you do not need any pics. I just had some and threw them up. Just give a shout out of what the ground and tree cover is like in your area.

Thanks for the Aitkin update.

Looks like my hopes of a trip up that way might be pushed back a week or more.

Thanks!

All the ferns are dead in the Bemidji area, leaves are falling, it's getting easier to see the birds now. Hopefully this rain will knock down some of the dead ferns.

I'll be around Aitkin this coming weekend for a wedding, I should have a report for that area as well next week. Nice to read that you heard some birds, I hunted around Aitkin on opener and only saw 1 bird, and didn't hear any. The weather was pretty poor though.

That would be cool, thanks!

Ya, you do not even need to be a grouse hunter to give a report. Just tell us where you are at and what it looks like still out your back door or down the road.

Thanks

Whoops

Friday

Paul Bunyan 0 birds leaves 75% and falling rapidly

Badoura 0 birds leaves 85%

Secret Spot 3 birds bagged leaves 80% Just glorious w/maples, oaks, birches, chokecherry, dogwood, etc!

Put on about 6 miles Friday lot's of barren ground and one mile with six flushes and two bird's bagged.

2 Weeks ago we bagged 6 north of Grand Rapids but we flushed around 45 in 3 days we couldnt really see or shoot at since it was very thick. Was up by Leech this weekend and walked a little for grouse with no luck. Still awefully thick, not much changed from 2 weeks ago imo.

Leaves are droppin in and around Grand Rapids. Prolly 65% of leaves still on though. Lots of undergrowth. have been hittin the spruce groves pretty hard for that reason. Me and my buddy have put 11 grouse down since opener. Will keep you posted. The weekend of October 18th should be the start of good grousing in this area.

Hunted around Mcgrath Sunday, leaves starting to drop.......3 hours....20 flushes.....5 birds.. 3 ruffs 2 doodles.. I cant believe how dry it was compared to the soggyness of last fall..Bring water for the dogs!!!! This rain today should help, I hope. Gettin out this weekend again...can't wait...uplander

Was up Grouse hunting North of Orr over the weekend. I'd say the leaves were at their peak as far as colors go & are starting to fall. There is still a lot of tall grass & under cover out there though. With all the rain over the weekend the leaves should start falling a little faster.

Four of us hunted Thursday through Sat. Got 6 thursday, None on Friday, & 11 on Sat. Saw quite a few that ran back into the woods never to be seen again.

Really starting to lose leaves in Grand Rapids area now. More leaves on the ground than in the trees i would say. Still plent of undergrowth though. Ferns are starting to turn brown. Another week of this 50 degree weather should really make things look like late october.

Up around Mcgregor again nearly all leaves down. Still some green under brush like the raspberrys and alders.. Good time 4 hrs 4 grouse and one doodle baged. Didn't see quite as many this time. But once again it was hot, almost 60..

Went up to i falls last weekend with dad and two brothers and not kidding 150 seen and 40 shot in two days. Hunted hard and dogs imporoved 100 percent from the first 3 weekends. This is what it is all about. The next month best of the year. All vacation is saved up and ready to be burned. good luck everyone.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread smile.

The reports are great cool

Around Princeton things have changed big time since I have started this thread.

TK8unIkuzZdItZimsGwzBKOKr79ZgD0q0300.jpg

Z88TomYyT388lx4unBqKqqwbYcC1o2Or0300.jpg

Today 10/22/2008:

J5lM6ND-8lxH23Akgt15yjUuUXVKZDtj0300.jpg