• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which used ATV for ice fishing?

ScottND

I'm looking for a used ATV under $3500 for ice fishing. I've got a Scheels 3 man portable, Jiffy auger, Aquavu DT, LX3, heaters, etc. to tow out with it. How important is full-time 4x4? How about getting stuck and a winch, neccessary? Blade? Automatic vs. manual shift? Cold starting? I use a Garmin GPS V, do they work in the cold? So many toys, so many questions and so little "on the ice" research time frown.gif.

I'd be happy to hear your idea's and experience. If you know where there is a good used ice fishing ATV I'd be interested in seeing/buying it.

Thanks!

Scott,
I Have a 2-wheel drive polaris 300 that I use for ice fishing, and have never had a problem. I pull my fish trap behind, loaded with all gear, works like a charm.
Basically, all i'm looking for is transportation durring early ice, until it gets thick enough for my truck. Snow amounts before the first of the year lately have not been a problem.
PS.. I did put a set of chains on, just because, but you really would'nt need to.
Good Luck,
Backlash

if its only use is for ice fishing, why not a snowmobile, I know, snow has been lacking recently, but, even last year the snow was too deep on many lakes especialy north, for atv's. back in march I watched some guys on atvs on LOW try to get out, some made some progress but it was slow, compared to snomobile 40-50mph. Im sure you being from ND could have some summer uses for atv. but if your just thinking ice use, my vote is sled.

I myself would vote for a sled for ice fishing. Wheelers are great early ice and possibly late ice when the snow cover is nothing, but as stated above last winter, there were places you couldn't go unless you had a snowmobile because of the snow depth. Devils Lake & Lake of the Woods were two lakes with deep snow last winter. Red Lake was close too. You should be able to get a used sled a heck of a lot cheaper than $3500 also.