• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? of manners on the ice

BarryG

I have never been ice fishing, I have been talking to a buddy of mine and he finally says he would like to try it. We are planning on trying this coming winter and I don't have a clue about the way things are done when you're out on the ice! Could you help a guy out? If you don't want to post here you can email me at bareman at mail.com. Just put ice fishing as the subject so I don't just delete it. Thanks!

BarryG, Ice fishing is a long ways away but I'll share a few tips with ya. The most important thing is to become friends with someone like me that owns enough ice fishing stuff to take you out. That way all you need to start out with is warm clothes, boots, gas and bait money. make sure you start off with a good warm pair of boots and a current fishing license and your ready to tag along. If you would like to go out this coming winter your more than welcome to come out with me anytime. I have a 7x12 house on retractable wheels to fish out of and a few portables, heaters,lanterns, Augers, vexilars, rod combos, underwater camera and plenty of tackle for you to come out. Then if you enjoy yourself you can see all the things you will need. Some are necessities and most are for pleasure. i would hate to see a guy go out and spend thousands of $$$$ and find out he doesn't care for ice fishing. give me a shout around the middle of november if you want to go. I usually get on the ice around thanksgiving or so. turnquist927 at msn dot com.

BarryG

spinach is right about going 1st b4 buying equipment. I noticed that your from MO and I don't know if there is much ice fishing down there. Speaking of MO I took some people from there ice fishing once at night. As we drove on the lake one commented "how nice it was of us to build all these little shelters for the homeless, and by the way when are we going to get to the lake." Well when I informed them we'd been driving on the lake for the past couple miles their eyes got as big as saucers. shocked.gif Then I explained those shelters were fish houses. Just thaught it was funny. Would be willing to take you out if ya want. psegriz at hotmail dot com

GRIZ

We will more than likely go to a resort. I thank you guys for your offers though. We have been talking about this and I'm sure that the resort owners will have something we can use. This won't be a weekend trip, more like a week. I'm just hoping that we hit it right when the fishing is good and the catching is good too! I am looking forward to it though! We come up in Sept every year and fish the Rainy river and we take the launch out on LOW. We always have a GREAT time! I think of all the places I have been, MN is the best. Thanks again.

BarryG. The guys above are right on and its commedable that they offered to give you a look see at the sport of ice fishing and have you tag along. Based on your situation and the fact that you have fished Rainy and LOW in the past I would talk to the resort where you are hiring the lauch for open water and tell them of your desire to get on the hard water. I don't know of any resort up there that would not take the time to get you set up. First of all they would want you to have just as successful trip on the ice as you do on the open water, and second if you get hooked like the rest of us they know you will be back and thats just good business sense. I really hope you get the chance to do it. Its gets in your blood so bad you actually get the tremors. Good luck and hang on, maybe see you on the ice next winter. Bill

SPUD

I work construction so am laid off in the winter. I go where ever the fishing is good (hopefully). I fish alot west of hwy. 71. I know of lots of private lakes in the area and some of them the owners don't even know there is fish in there. I have permision to go there I just havn't told them that there are fish in the lake. I like to go to lakes that are under fished kinda find my own spot. I also go to LOW, URL, Winnie and other trips. I try to make it up to URL about 30 days offf and on through the winter. Probably spend 100 days a year icin. Yes I do get to games ,norway and other lakes around the area. BTW I know a few people from RWF. I don't know why but I have a this funny feeling you already know me. Is your name roger?