• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

toe nail

eric29

Last nite my lab must have gotten her nail caught on something and rippped it half off. Im pretty sure that she ripped out the whole thing bc i can see the back end of the nail on one side. Now its just hanging half on and crooked. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what to do. It hasnt really blead much since last nite but then it was comin out like a stuck pig. I dont think it bothers her to much- she walks fine and plays but it looks very painful to me. Do i try and rip the rest off or do just let it be.

Its the whole nail tho. She didnt rip just a piece off or break a part off it, she pulled the whole nail out and one side is still connected to her toe. If i did pull the whole nail out would it grow back.

There was just a piece on the Pheasants Forever program. The guy said to get some stuff the dentists use for repairing a cavity. They took a half of a pill capsule and put that stuff in it and then put it over the broken claw. Supposedly it sets in 20 seconds and then you're good to go. They didn't mention taking off the capsule but I guess it would come of pretty quickly. My dog broke a claw and there was some pulp haning off the end. Cost me a hun to have the vet clean it up and give me some antibiotics. I would be concerned about infection or renewed bleeding without repairing it. That would ruin an hunt pretty quickly.

I ended up goin to the vet to have them pull off the nail. They had to sedate her to do it. Then they put a little cast like thing on her, that say 'Go Vikes', that she needed to wear for 3 days. They tried to tell me that she cant go out for opener this weekend but well have to see about that. It all costed me a lil over a hundred.