• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody seen any duck ? We seen alot of them near the Jim River.

We're going out in the morning, we set out lots of deekes,

heard a front is coming through and maybe that will stir 'em up

and get them movin'.

Hope to hear how you guys done !

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worst opener ive ever had. usually we shoot like a box of shells each... today i shot 2 shells in 3 hours. we had 2 ducks come over us this morning. one was a coot wich my buddy blasted and the other one was a drake mallard that for some reason we didnt kill. heard very little shots when usually on opener where we hunt it is constant shooting. we got out there at 6am and saw probably 50 geese and like 100 ducks and when 9am came around, only one duck after that. i think we will do pretty good tomorrow morning sinse we can shoot at 645, that was when we saw all of the birds flying. good luck to anyone going out tomorrow!

Saw a few, but most out of range. My buddy got a couple of rounds off early, but they were a little far off for it. Couple of guys on the lake shot a couple of geese. Going to hit it tomorrow morning again.

Hunted S of the cities. Lots of geese on the small lake when we arrived and kicked them up as we paddled in. 5 other groups showed up after light, kicking out the ducks that were already on the lake as well. Lake empty at 9am, a few minutes after shooting time, the lakes nearby errupted in gunfire, and before long, a number of flocks of teal were crusing the dekes. I managed 1 greenwing teal, and due to some really poor shooting, that was it. Missed on a number of other flocks of blue and green winged teals that wouldn't quiet set all the way in the dekes. Saw dozens of geese, but none would commit. Saw one group across from us down 2 Commorants (If there were Canvasback I might have called TIP). All in all, there were some ducks in the area, but only a couple of woodies and mallards. Almost all ducks were teal. Geese wanted no part of any decoys. Scouting the area afterwards, saw 2 different public lakes with people using motorized decoys. There were dozens of trucks parked at a couple of different lakes nearby, so it looks like we made the right choice going to the lake we picked.

Worst opener I can ever remember. We usually have our two woodies right away. I didn't even see two woodies and I hunted from 9 till 4. We managed 2 mallards and 1 blue wing teal.

jparrucci - sure those motorized decoys weren't wind activated. We had a wind activated one out and with the breeze it looked just like a motorized decoy.

Quick Strike, were you in the Duluth area? I hunted south of Cotton on a small pivate lake that had lot's of corn fed mallards and geese on it all summer. Heck, they were a nuisance when we tried fishing. They must of all flew to you as we saw one stinkin' duck at the end of the lake that never flew. Were you in the management? BC

We had a pretty good opener my 12 year old shot 2 mallards and I got 1 mallard and a teal and my 9 year old got skunked, he ruffled some feathers a couple times but nothing fell. Lots of mallards and teal ,not many wooducks, went from 9-12, 11-12 was very slow, Lots of shooting,wish we could have shot better. Sunday morning should be fun.

3 guys 7 shots 6 drake wood ducks. didnt plan on seeing any other species of duck, and we were right. landed probably 100-150 woodies into the decoys all morning long. it was fun to see how suicidal they were to the dekes. i was unprepared for the flight of lesser canadas that we had going for about 1 hour this morning; i didnt bring any honker dekes and they wanted so bad to land; responded to my calling great, but then some one-who-thinks-I-am-silly with a flute call would do the worst impression of a goose i've ever heard and try to blast at 100 yard high honks. typical i guess.

2912802413_80eea56222_o.jpg

Managed only to bring the one immature greenhead home. I was trying a new area and their was plenty of birds in the area, they just didn't want to land in the little slough I was at. Had a hen mallard 30 yards out on the water at shooting time, let her have a free pass and also gave the one other hen mallard that buzzed by a little later a pass.

Less than 24 hours into the post and we already have our robo/skybusting whine on. wink Heard lots of blastage SE of Buffalo when I got away from the equipment noise today. Saturday OT pays for whackin and stackin NoDak style in 2 weeks. Good luck in the AM all.

managed 2 wood ducks...when we got on the water at about 6:30am there were a lot of ducks flying around the lake we were on, but as soon as shooting time came around they had disappeared...

One of the best openers our group of four had in a long time. We had our 24 ducks by 1:00. Which was made up of 9 mallards and the rest were teal. A lot of mallards in the area. Did not even see any woodies at all. Going back in the morning. Good luck to everyone!

shot 4 ringnecks by noon, after that not a duck in the cloudless sky. I am cautiously optimistic however because the water levels were up a bit from last year and a couple of the flocks actually decoyed (something i haven't seen in about 3 years) Either way it was great to be out and fire a few shots and get a small meal.

son and I got out abit early and sat for four hours before we even saw another boat. But Het, wo got our spot that we have been scouting for the last two weeks. WE saw lots of birds before 9:00 A.M. After that, shots were continuos for the next hour or so. We managed two teal, four woodies and two mallards. I was real proud of my son. At fourteen years old, he managed too call in four teal and drop two of them While I sat there and watch. Ya, I lost the bet on thar one.

We sshot 2 geese, other hunting party killed 2 geese at 722am which I called tip on them but they never came.. Saw plenty of geese after 9am but not many r commited to our dekes... hope its better this am.. Good luck ya all

No ducks, 6 lesser canadians out of a flock of 50 that decoyed. Couple of our guys should have pulled on a few flocks, but they weren't prepared and the angle wasn't right for dad and myself (too dangerous).

Could've been better, but there's a lot of season left.